Author Topic: Huckleberries  (Read 2469 times)

agapanthus

• Hectare
Huckleberries
« on: November 19, 2005, 18:02:31 »
Am gonna take the bull by the horns and make some huckleberry jam and my friend is making huckleberry wine. Had an absolute glut of them and I'm not one to waste........if I hav'nt left any posts after a week will someone please contact the coroner!!!! ;D

undercarriage plan

Re: Huckleberries
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 18:07:37 »
Good luck!! LOL! Had to pull mine up the other season, cos like a noodle, I'd let deadly night shade grow inbetween  ::) And was too worried to eat!! But has been wonderful knowing you.....Sure you'll be fine...really..... :-\
Lottie  ;D

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 18:18:48 »
thanks for the vote of confidence Lottie ???

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 18:20:57 »
I trust you'll be a pallbearer...I mean you hav'nt that far to come!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 18:22:30 »
LOL! Nah, you'll be fine!! If get tum ache, shout and will come roaring up with sink plunger..... ;)
Lottie  ;D

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 18:52:05 »
I'm just a bit scared which end ??? ???

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 19:02:59 »
Honestly, there is nothing to worry about....have been trained in the 7 main uses of a sink plunger...I don't want to panic you...and..erm...well let's hope you don't have to find out...you'll be fine.... really...:-\
Lottie ;D ;)

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 19:04:57 »
lol ;D ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 19:08:01 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 23:07:31 »
You are a braver agapanthus than me!  I have a lovely row of huckleberries, but they are soooooooooooo like deadly night shade, and the birds haven't touched them, that I just can't bring myself to use them!  I have decided to leave them on the plants to see if the birds will enjoy them, and then sling them in the compost!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 00:21:55 »
I was at my sister's place a while back and being given the grand tour of her allotment, which was very slightly weedy, as she's been busy lately doing other things.
She turned her back for just a moment and of course, I started doing what any normal person does, i.e. pulling up the weeds.
Of course, it was only after I'd pulled up nearly every one of what I thought were deadly nightshade, that I realised they were growing in a very straight line, for weeds.  :-[

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 08:33:01 »
Hi all,  :D
             I grew huckleberries last year from a packet of Unwins seeds. They grew really well  ;D , but when they were ripe I thought they tasted awful :-X . So on the compost heap they went,  I guess they were huckleberries & not deadly nightshade  ???
                       Adrian.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 11:34:57 »
they do taste foul...but apparently good in jam.....I'll keep you informed ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 14:48:27 »
So glad to see your post, Agapanthus!! Am armed and ready if needed....... :-X ;D ;)

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 15:11:13 »
my own private nurse!!!!!....cool ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 17:06:18 »
But I ain't starching for noone Agapanthus!!! Will scare you rigid now by saying, many, many years ago, In a far flung galaxy, I used to be one!!!! :o :o :o, yes very worrying I know....
Lottie  ;D

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 18:13:55 »
The Results:-.....good news and strange news;
Good news...birds are eating the huckleberries 8) 8)
Strange news; not sure about the jam......it does'nt taste bad....a bit strange......but not really sure how it tastes ??? I won't waste it....probably be quite nice with cold pork or ham ??? Had to put 2 lemons in with the huckleberries and sugar. Think a lot of it is 'cos of bad press!! lol. It's a psychological thing I'm sure. Good news for you Lottie...don't need a nurse ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 22:41:56 »
My Huckleberries that I am to frightened to eat, are hanging like big black jewels on leafless plants!  The birds aren't even touching them!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal