Author Topic: Parafin Heaters  (Read 2309 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Parafin Heaters
« on: December 01, 2005, 16:32:27 »
I have a small 'Parasene' heater for my greenhouse. Having had it on a fair bit during the recent cold spell, i noticed the fuel seemed to be going down a lot quicker than it did with similar usage last winter.  I then remembered advice about trimming the wick and decided to do so.

Having trimmed the wick I am now wondering if doing so will make a difference to fuel consumption, or maybe that NOT doing so has a negative effect on rate of consumption.

I am also wondering how often you should idealy or realisticaly trim the wick. I have to confess that having bought the heater last January, this was the first time i had done it since! (PS: it is still the original wick too.)

Anyone any thoughts on this please?

How do those amoungst you with parafin heaters get on with maintainance and management of your heaters?

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
Re: Parafin Heaters
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 16:48:45 »
Im afraid that i do not have any answers but like to add another question. I have an old parafin heater and never used it in the greenhouse.

How much does it cost to use it? How long does the parafin last?

Thanks and regards

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Parafin Heaters
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 22:59:30 »
Hmm, I used a parafin heater in my last greenhouse, and never ever trimmed the wick and it seemed to just carry on regardless.  :-\  I didn't notice it using more or less fuel, especially considering if it was going to be really really cold I turned the wick out more for more heat so the fuel useage varied anyhows.....  I got so fed up with parrafin as I seemed to be buying it weekly and if it ran out in the middle of a very cold night, well, all that hard work keeping the house heated was wasted!  I guess my spend back then - about 3 or 4 years ago, was about a fiver a week.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal