Author Topic: hexagonal greenhouse  (Read 6692 times)

agapanthus

• Hectare
hexagonal greenhouse
« on: November 29, 2005, 15:50:59 »
Whoopee!! Managed to obtain a second-hand 4yr old  8' (widest part) hexangonal greenhouse for £75 ;D I would like to grow tomatoes and the like directly into the soil but obviously have to have it standing on some sort of base. Does anyone know of a really cheap way I can do this. Had to dip into the christmas fund to buy it so cash very tight. Thanks. ;D

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Re: hexagonal greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 17:31:24 »
Hi Aggy
I have an hexagonal one as you can see in my pic! they're a totally different kettle of fish than the "normal" ones but much more pleasing on the eye than a rectangular box!!
Easiest and probably cheapest method is quite simply to make a hexagonal channel in the ground where you're site it, then a good concrete mix run into it, leave it to dry and bolt your greenhouse down with some rawbolts drilled into concrete!! the concrete doesn't have to be of house foundations depth!! 4" wide will suffice and about similar depth.
If you build the frame and leave it glassless, then site it where its home is going to be, mark it out and with a helping hand move it out of the way while you do your foundations!!
An even simpler method for foundations is to sit the GH on precast edging slabs, one to each side and bolt it down to them!! Once the glass is in, there will be enough weight for it to be solid!!
Hope this helps
KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 17:53:16 »
Thanks Kev both ideas sound great and cheap!! I'll let you know how I get on...cheers 8)

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 21:46:48 »
aga, have you finally accepted the degree of your addiction ?  You've dipped into your Christmas fund, possibbly robbed your children/friends/family of cheap, flashy, tinsly presents .... have you spoken to your doctor recently ?    :-\
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 22:01:56 »
aikendrum....funny you should mention that...hospital appointment tomorrow :(

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 22:18:54 »
Falls off the floor laffin'  .... falls off the floor ?  < ... could you book an appointment for me with your Doc please  ?    {:¬ (
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 22:43:56 »
only if you have the dreaded lady disease!!

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 00:38:40 »
*not a word*

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 09:07:17 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 15:23:52 »
I would be inclined to stand the greenhouse on concrete blocks, this may be easier than struggling with wet concrete. Once the greenhouse is positioned, any misaligned blocks are easily moved by knocking them individually. Any gaps, eg at corners, are readily filled with small amounts of wet concrete. The greenhouse can be fastened down as before after the concrete has set.

Derekthefox :D

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 16:30:04 »
Are concrete blocks expensive Derek?

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 11:34:52 »
i wouldnt go too near ground. thye meanbt to be rasied a bit as it stops algae and moss from the ground growing up the greenhouse.

i used conrete blocks, similar looking to breeze blocks only heavier and not hollow, made a wall and then bolted down onto that, bit more expensive but i suppose it will pay off in long run. also provides a bit of a kiker board to stop things, like feet going through the glass!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 11:36:07 »
Are concrete blocks expensive Derek?

I think there about a £1 each. there about a foot long, work out how many you need and go to your local builders merchants, see if you can get a good deal for that many plus all your sand etc. may be able to get a better price.

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 12:20:52 »
wardy, hya btw !  *waves* I'm not too sure what they are made from, no doubt one of the builder type chaps will inform us, so don't know about any chemicals that might leech into the soil. Wouldn't look very pretty though, would they  .... would certainly clash with your lovely green wellies  ...    {:¬)#

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 12:33:52 »
I was actually thinking about using them as a base for my shed .... yup, the one that only exists on a piece of paper at the moment    {:¬ (

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 13:10:51 »
< ..... brain the size of a planet and I spend my time seeking out and destroying defenseless little weeds  .... what a waste   *sighs*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal