Author Topic: Compost bins  (Read 8177 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Compost bins
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 11:33:29 »
Let us know if it does John - I always worry that my compost bin worms do not like living in the soil (but I suppose they must come from somewhere)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 14:52:36 »
I've also wondered if its 'thin pickings' for red compost worms in general soil conditions and how long it takes their population to build up to sizable numbers when starting a cool heap from scratch on bare earth. I don't know if anyone else has any idea how quickly they lay eggs and increase in numbers?

I like to think that if I can set up a bit of a wormery on the top of a pile at a time when their food is running out elsewhere in the heap, they will 'smell' the fresh pickings, move into the soil sieves and live to chomp another day when the sieve contents get mixed together at the beginning of the next dalek full of worm nosh.

Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 15:48:23 »
My council subsidises compost bins as part of their recycling campaign - worth checking out if yours does the same.  I have a couple of £5 eack black daleks - they don't seem very robust compared to the £40+ ones you can buy, but they work.  And they were delivered to my door FOC.

I'm also using them to help over winter a coupe of semi tender plants in pots in the space between the bins as the colour and contents keep that little corner from freezing so quickly.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 16:11:21 »

And Wardy is better known as "QUEEN OF THE BINS" round the board
  I think !!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 16:55:10 »
I just ordered 2 big green darleks from my council (kent) for £10 each and they also give you a free "kitchen caddy" to collect all your veg peelings, tea bags etc (that's the bit I'm most excited about, will hopefully stop a mountain of tea bags growing next to the sink)

I've got a massive pile dead of couch grass, dandelions and bind weed in the corner of my lottie and was going to make a pallet bin to put all them in and leave my nice new bins for non perenial weeds - is it worth it? how long will it take for the compost to be safe to use? or should i just have a bonfire?

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 18:22:32 »
Don't own up to using teabags fingernails - they get all hoyty toyty about that on here - even if they are Ringtons.  Tea leaves only I am afraid even though tea bags are much more use for a gardener in my opinion.  ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 21:13:36 »
I use teabags and I don't care who knows it. It's the only practical way down on the plot.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 06:32:11 »
I know he wasn't being serious; I'd have noticed any anti teabag threads. I compost everything in my daleks; anythiing still alive gets picked out as I spread it. If I do miss anything, it doesn't matter as the spell in the dalek always seems to weaken it to the point where it can't establish itself that season, and it just gets dug out later.

gtm41658

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2006, 13:31:02 »
....eh....scuse my ignorance....why are tea bags or tea leaves good for a lottie gardener....apart from drinking!!!!

Gerry

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 12:28:27 »
they make lovely compost!

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 08:01:11 »
If you go with the homemade bin, and intend to be organic, I would be careful covering the heap with old carpet.

I have read here and elsewhere, that the chemiclas used in the carpet's manufacture could leach into the heap.  Not sure about cardboard, but I would probably avoid that also for the same reasons. Not sure what would be an effective alternative though.
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 08:47:04 »
That smaller?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 21:17:43 by kenkew »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 10:34:25 »
 :o :o :o any chance you can make the pic smaller, Ken, please?
 ;D Lish

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2006, 19:15:37 »
I know he wasn't being serious; I'd have noticed any anti teabag threads. I compost everything in my daleks; anythiing still alive gets picked out as I spread it. If I do miss anything, it doesn't matter as the spell in the dalek always seems to weaken it to the point where it can't establish itself that season, and it just gets dug out later.

the reason i heard that my council didn't like tea-bags was the fact that they'd probably been exposed to milk and they didn't want any dairy products contaminating the whole shebang.

with that in mind, i brew a pot rather than make in the mug now and keep my bags for my own composter.

???
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2006, 20:54:07 »
I do exactly the same MrsKP because I do not want anything but tea and water (plus the cotton bag thingy) in my bin.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006, 23:28:56 »
i've heard other nasty stories about the bleach in the cotton bag, but i'm just sticking my fingers in my ears  tra la la ....... "I can't hear you!"

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2006, 08:50:55 »
I've got a massive pile dead of couch grass, dandelions and bind weed in the corner of my lottie and was going to make a pallet bin to put all them in and leave my nice new bins for non perenial weeds - is it worth it? how long will it take for the compost to be safe to use? or should i just have a bonfire?

Alternative views on perennial weeds gathered from the site: put them in a bucket of water for nutritious drink (for the plants!); set aside a compost area like you're thinking of, cover and leave 2 or 3 years; do a RB and just bung them in to the heap as you go, pulling out anything alive when you spread it. This latter is what I do, as life's too short to separate them out when weeding, and I'm not sure I'd know the difference 100% anyway  :P ::)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2006, 09:02:41 »
If you live in Lancashire County, Blackburn with Darwen or Blackpool they are giving away free compost bins plus free lidded bucket.
 www.compost-it.uk/scheme/komp250.htm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal