Author Topic: mystery!  (Read 1970 times)

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
mystery!
« on: November 27, 2005, 09:54:15 »
Well, either I have the world's first teleporting bluetit or the cat sneaked one in yesterday when I wasn't looking, then ignored it, only to recatch this morning when it had revived.

All I know is all hell broke loose in the kitchen, followed by madam scooting up the stairs with a guilty-looking demeanour. I thought, 'Oh help we've got mice'.  Caught her vanishing under the bed, and she let go of her catch, which took the chance to fly into the stairwell.

Threw cat back into bedroom and shut the door, went for my fishing net (usually used for rescuing hoverflies out the conservatory in summer!) and finally managed to catch it and let it go.

The puzzle is we don't have a catflap and I can't recall her carrying anything in! There's a pile of feathers by the kitchen door, so I can only assume that's where it was lurking when she pounced.  And at this time of the year, I don't leave any windows or doors open. Weird, eh?

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

montanum

• Half Acre
Re: mystery!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 15:13:16 »
I can imagine the picture.   Brings back many memories of cats we have had.    Thanks.
                                          Montanum    :) :) :)
From The Mountains

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 08:39:15 »
I can imagine the picture.   Brings back many memories of cats we have had.    Thanks.
                                          Montanum    :) :) :)

Yerse, that is rather the downside of having a cat. Mind you, it has to be an extremely slow or stupid bird/mouse/dragonfly to be caught by Madam - she's thankfully not a very good hunter, and she doesn't tend to kill stuff, just brings it to show me.  Hence they get released!  I was so glad this bird was ok - but I really wish I'd been able to get an .avi of it flying about the stairwell! I was trying to minimise its shock by getting it out of the house as fast as possible before it had a heart attack or something.

When I was in the kitchen at lunchtime I noticed that the romanescu cauli I'd left on the side had been pecked :) so it had obviously found food while trapped overnight!  ;D

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 08:51:28 »
It could have been in shock overnight and probably hiding and recovering - poor little thing atleast you managed to free it.

Our cats are quite elderly now so we don't have any such problems but in their younger days they used to bring their "prize" in to show me but very rarely killed it just played with it.  The down side of this was that we were over-run with mice who had nested in the back of the piano at one point - nightmare!!!!
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 17:59:21 »
I have a terrible fear that our latest one will be an extremely efficient hunter and I cannot get a bell to stay on her.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 20:35:53 »
My Merlypuss is a killer extroadinaire.  He was an indoor cat for 4 yrs so is making up for it.  (Bell or no bell).  It is a natural instinct not learned behaviour I suppose.  What I want to know is who teaches them how ot scratch the bed and wake you up ?  Is it something that is passed on at kitten finishing school?
Get with the beat Baggy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal