Author Topic: Silly shed question!  (Read 11425 times)

Sheona

• Not So New ...
Silly shed question!
« on: November 27, 2005, 18:58:04 »
We have just been to B & Q and bought a cheap apex 6' x 4' for £90 (with 10% off voucher).  We get the barings supplied, what kind of base will we need to prepare? It's going on the corner of our plot...  I was thinking of levelling the ground, tramping it to compact then laying bricks using sand. Will this be ok, do you think?  Any other suggestions welcome!  ;D

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
Re: Silly shed question!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 19:06:25 »
Thats not a silly question cos I don't know the answer either - mind you thats not saying much!

but OH is stood behind me and he says :

1.   Level the corner of plot where shed is to stand

2.   Lay slabs on sharp sand and put shed on top OR sit the shed on top of wooden sleepers, this allows the air to circulate under the shed and prevents rot

Hope this helps :D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Sheona

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 19:12:59 »
Thanks Delilah, I was going to use flags instead of bricks but can't find any cheap enough  ::) and the bricks are free  ;D!  So, it's nice to know that I was on the right lines anyway...and at least if I lay bricks or slabs don't have the problem of weeds growing up through!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 19:36:25 »
My shed is resting on bricks resting on soil. Any unlevel bricks get aligned as they take all the load. My shed has been up for five years and is solid.

The other advice you have been given is also correct. Basically dont put the wood in contact with the soil.

Derekthefox :D

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 20:15:49 »
Hi, with great risk of all laughing at my stupidity (well OH anyway) we got some free pallets from focus just put them straight down and nailed our old garden shed onto them (then bought a lovely new shed from same place and put up properly??????????? ???)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 20:38:29 »
How do you stop your sheds from blowing away?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 20:45:47 »
Sheona.. When late husband put our sunroom up he rested it on sleepers with cross member to give support  under the floor. The idea of this was that no fear of any nasty little "things" nesting under there as the cats can get under. So far so good it has been up for at least 10 years. He didn't do same for small pigeon loft as this was on to concrete ( can always see any suspicious holes if anything decides to get under concrete). Good luck.   Lorna.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 20:48:45 »
Redclanger So much rubbish in my shed it is far too heavy to blow away. Going to have a clear out so will have to consider that problem ;D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 21:31:11 »
I put pallets on bricks to create a base. And kind of waved around a spirit level to make it look like I knew what I was doing...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 22:03:42 »
Terrance you and my OH are of the same ilk :) put up and see.

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 07:30:24 »
A cheep way is to get six concreate blocks & level them in to the soil about 1" above soil.
Then put baring timber across the blocks length ways or width
opposite to floor support then up from there.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 08:31:48 »
For our group's shed we used second hand railways sleepers which the shed company supplied.  Not the easiest of materials to transport or handle but very good for the job. 
I came, I saw, I composted

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 09:54:16 »
We did the flags and sand thing with our shed, one difference was that the flags were a laid little less than the width of the shed roof -and we dug a small trench and filled it with gravel around them to stop the rain splashing back onto the wood -total overkill really.

As to it blowing away, we have a share of a beach hut and they string galvanised wire rope over the roof to loops embedded in concrete. Wouldn't be hard to do the same for yourself, polyprop would probably do instead of wire rope if you protect it from chafe -with the wire rope you have to protect the hut from chafe :)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 16:05:47 »
If you got it from B&Q the biggest preperation is working on your patience when it arrives with half the bits missing and you spend 2 hours speaking to 6 equally incompetent children over a period of a week in order to get the rest of it delivered, which you have to get off the van yourself as they only send one person.......

or is that just my experience?????  ;D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 16:52:56 »
Several sheds lost their roofs last year in the wind..we ganged up to help put them back .
The main problem seemed to be the inadequate nails that had been used to secure the roof in each case...suggest you use some large long screws

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 16:56:30 »
My shed is standing on 4x4 pressure treated timber which were supported by bricks on top of a sheet of black poly for good measure ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 17:16:18 »
Oh dear Daisy.  That sounds like a nightmare.  B&Q kitchens I believe come in dribs and drabs too according to my niece who also was driven nearly mad by their incompetence.  For our communal plot we used a national, but local company to us, who delivered and put it up for us.  We did have hands available though to help off load, although there were two of them doing the heavy lifting, and we just helped with the bits and kept the drinks supplied.  The guy wanted to deliver and put it up himself to make sure it was right  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 20:39:55 »
If your shed is raised off the ground you might want to consider a way of stopping/hindering mice etc nesting underneath.  My lottie terms say I must put chicken wire round any gap under the shed.

Also, if you have a shed from one of the big DIY chains, supplement the included nails with extra supplies of galvanised clout nails or screws to make sure it is really solid and give it extra rigidity.  Also, be careful when laying the roof felt; it is sometimes fairly poor quality on the budget sheds and can tear easily.

Good luck!!

Andy
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 20:50:53 »
I sympathise with you Daisy, perhaps B & Q is unique, but I doubt it, as for the unloading, I would just remind them of the Health and Safety at Work Act, ie, until they have delivered, they are responsible for your welfare too, and should not even allow you to unload ... There should be a written risk assessment for this activity, since it cannot be regarded as unforseen. Once they know you understand that Act, they will change their tune I have found.

How poorly customers are treated in some stores ...

Derekthefox :D

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 22:28:24 »
Just going back to the "How to stop your shed blowing over" Ive hammered 6` long steaks into the ground, about 2-3` down and screwed them to the corners... so far so good.
Also Lorna - even if your shed is weighted down with rubbish, if the sides are not securly screwed to the base the walls and roof can blow of and leave your base where it is.... honest - Ive seen it!!!  :o

Erm ok, Ill go back to being a lurker now  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal