Author Topic: SHouldn't this be dead...?  (Read 4579 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: SHouldn't this be dead...?
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 18:06:19 »
is it right that you dig the roots of rubarb up and expose them to frost ? apparently so im told that it does the plant good ???

I don't dig mine up and expose to frost, and mine do very well thank you.  :)
I think this is an old wives tale - if the roots wanted to be exposed to frost, they'd make their way up to the surface on their own!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 18:07:13 »
Roses doing teh same and that daft clematis didn't even have the sense to shrivel in the frost this morning just sat there with a big smile on each flower like it was a blamy 20 degrees.

Roses flowering, bulbs showing lots of leaves.  Have I rip van winkled winter away or something?????
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 18:09:51 »
Where do you all live??? Bahamas or somewhere???  ;D

Everything I have has been knocked back by the recent hard frosts and is all wrinkled and dead looking!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2005, 18:11:10 »
West Sussex for me.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2005, 20:06:28 »
Hertfordshire  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2005, 21:24:54 »
Coventry.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 15:58:22 »
you dig up crowns for forcing (altho in my experience not necessary), you have to throw the crown away afterwards!
It'll be better next year

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 19:04:34 »
I put one of those plastic composting bins (empty) on top of one of my rhubarb plants (left in situ) last spring to force it - it worked really well, with great long, tender pink stalks as a result.
I didn't dig it up for forcing, and I didn't throw it away - but must admit I didn't pull so much from it in early summer, to give it a chance for next year. It seemed fine.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2005, 19:27:36 »
I have a variety (unknown) of rhubarb that comes very early, my neighbour, who supplied me with the crowns, even pulled his first crop this year on the last day of February ...

I am able to pull plenty by the middle of March.

Derekthefox

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2005, 06:52:50 »
Traditionally rhubarb does benefit from being lifted and exposed to frosts... I lifted some to move last year and left them exposed over winter...had a lovely vigorous crop

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2005, 08:40:25 »
Oh Derek!!!! Why would you say that?? Why? Why!!! Sigh...now I've got to lift the whole lot, knowing that!....as she dons coat and trudges off into the bleak winters morning, struggling with spade........But thanks really!!!!! ;D ;)
Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2005, 08:46:58 »
Well I have some that needs moving too, so might lift it shortly and see what happens ...

Derekthefox :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal