Author Topic: Snow on the way  (Read 11496 times)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Snow on the way
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2005, 14:20:42 »
If the hens opposite are being neglected, I would report the cruel b*****d to the RSPCA.  At least then the hens should be rescued.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2005, 14:32:08 »
Verrrr cold like everywhere else but no snow!!!   OH and me attempted to travel to Edinburgh this morning though but got as far as 10 miles up the road and hit the snow on the roads with a blizzard blowing.  The pair of us must be getting old, cos we turned round and came home again!! what a come down!!!  The pair of us has driven in all roads in all sorts of bad weather but now we think twice.  Is this the sign of becoming old??   oh dear. 

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2005, 14:43:14 »
I can't tell for definate Redclanger. He said another alloment holder was taking them on. Haven't seen them for a few days so I assumed they had been moved. This hen that has arrived looks like one of them though. But how will I ever tell? Where are his other hens? Would someone who has looked after them for years suddenly abandon them? I even thought someone might have thought it was one of mine and bunged it over the fence. Or just bunged it over the fence anyway. :(   If this hen makes it we will be keeping her. I don't think it looks like she will.I've tried to make her comfortable but wonder if she should be put down? I wanted to give her a chance but you know I don't know enough yet about hens,I'm learning all the time. I hope I'm doing the right thing. If I ask another allotment hen keeper I know they'll say kill her. She's old and they'll not see her worth.

I know those chooks take up so much of my time! Mind you when it's sunny I just sit in a chair and watch them...busy doing nothing, doing it very well!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2005, 16:35:03 »
Why do we all feel so guilty succumbing to our caring side ...

To me this is what makes life worth living, but then I think I am a lost voice. I care not, I am truly happy with my choices.

Derekthefox :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2005, 16:44:40 »
Unfortunately it has died :(  I would have brought it home Wardy but I made the decision to make it as comfy as possible at the lotty. I thought it would have been frightened by the dog ,who would have gone mental if she smelled it,the cat would've been in there and the kids wouldn't have left it alone. I thought it would be less traumatic to move it about. Poor thing. It was warm in it's little hutch, I put a stack of bedding in and then put a carpet over to stop the drafts. Oh well atleast I tried.

Just had a few icy raindrops. Brrr! Went right down my neck.  Right, off to eat some sweets and make tea at the same time.

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2005, 17:15:34 »
You did the best you could, Heldi  You tried.  It died in peace, warm and comfort.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2005, 18:53:30 »
Sorry to hear your news Heldi, atleast you know you tried your best for her
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2005, 21:49:46 »
I've just read your post Heldi, you did all you could for the chookie. At least she didn't die in the coop and spent the night cold.

It might be worth giving your chooks yogurt and putting ACV into their water tomorrow just in case the sick one had any disease....make yours a bit more resistant if you can.

Whats happening to the other chooks at the allotment??

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2005, 12:01:15 »
The other chooks have been rescued by the bloke who was supposed to be taking them in the first place. The guy who owned them had not got back to him, OH happened to chat to him and mentioned the chooks in passing. The bloke said "I bloody hope he's not just leaving them to starve" So he went straight away to pull the guy and get the poor old hens. They'll be happy now. He has four hens already and keeps them for his little granddaughter to see.

Thanks for the tip AC. What type of yoghurt do I give?  My hens were well away from the old hen but its best to be safe rather than sorry.

Dennis is crowing like a good un now. He's so funny,the others look a bit miffed at all the noise he makes.  It's very cold here again. There has been so much freezing rain that many places are flooded,including my back garden and my allotment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal