General > Top Tips

Thanks to "Ten" this tip

<< < (2/2)

tim:
Sadly - special- like Kilner or their French equivalent - Le Parfait. But we've had ours 40 years. Just new rings. = Tim

Mimi:
Goodness me Tim :o will they be worth taking to the Antiques Roadshow?

tim:
- just had a thought - don't see why old 1lb jars shouldn't work - so long as no damage to the rim, and new sealable lids from Lakeland?
But do check elsewhere. = Tim

Tenuse:
Pressure bottling? Do you mean in a pressure cooker? I haven't got one of those :(

I have got a nice recipe book from America about making preserves and it talks about "canning" which I think is the same as bottling, but from the illustrations it looks like they use a special canning saucepan that holds the jar in the water.

Can I not, then, bottle preserves with an ordinary large saucepan??

Ten x

(want many preserves! as well as frozen things!  :P)

tim:
To the best of my belief -
US/UK! For 'preserves' I read 'jam/ chutney'. We all know how to do that? 'Canning', I reckon, is fruit & veg- and, of course, veg must be done at a higher temp - hence the p/cooker which goes up to 250deg.  

And yes, the principles of both are the same, the main difference is the need for a 'can sealer'.

There are 5 main ways to 'bottle' - I quote! - slow or hot water, slow or med oven, and p/ckg. P/ckg is fast, but you can only do 3x2lb or 5x1lb jars.  Keep at it!! = Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version