Author Topic: Christmas Dinner  (Read 12057 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Christmas Dinner
« on: November 25, 2005, 13:43:02 »
As many of you know, I don't tend to bother much with Christmas, but I still take charge in the kitchen on the 25th, and produce an excellent feed.

I tend to produce a traditional dinner, with a cold starter, then hot fresh soup, leek and potato or something similar. Then the standard fare, goose last year, but not again, turkey is easier and just as delicious. Mountains of vegetables of course, and all the trimmings. Pumpkin will be an additional vegetable this year. Then a selection of cheese, and finally the pud ...

Coffee and chocs to finish ..

What do others to for this alleged feast?

Derekthefox :D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Christmas Dinner
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 13:52:24 »
FIVE Courses? Good god I couldn't even eat three!

As always, I wear the trousers in the kitchen on xmas day. Last year we had homemade nut roast (we're veggies), lemon, garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, roast parsnip, roast sweet potato, roast squash, sprouts, peas, carrots, homemade sage and onion stuffing, homemade onion gravy. (my mouth is watering now). We had lashings of leftovers for bubble and squeak too!

This year we'll be having: lemon, garlic and rosemary roast homegrown potatoes (hopefully they'll keep another month!), roast parsnip, sprouts, homegrown sweetcorn (out the freezer), stuffing, gravy. Probably nut roast again, hopefully roast squash, and a couple of other veggies.

We're both so stuffed after that that we don't bother with pud.

Oh and how could I forget the roast chestnuts. Must remember to peel them on xmas eve though this year!
gone to pot :D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 13:56:19 »
I sit back,drink some bubbley and let OH get on with it!   ;D 

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 14:09:10 »
I prefer doing Christmas Eve supper - a HUGE fish pie with a puff pastry lid (OH not keen on mash-topped pies) dauphinois spuds & salad followed by gooey, creamy, boozey chocolate log. MMMmmmmmmm :)
(Don't forget breakfast on the big day - hot croissants with homemade jam & champagne with satsuma juice, makes the present opening at 6am almost civilised!!!)
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 14:12:50 »
redclanger and christmas

Veggie - no turkey or pigs in blankets then.
Can't stand dried fruit - no christmas pud, no cake and no mince pies.

I love chirstmas - not

Bah Humbug[/font]
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 14:19:29 »
Clanger - you don't have to eat turkey and pud to enjoy christmas - we don't. see my post above.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 14:34:26 »
The big day is mums department, but I supply all the veggies!

Normally start with something fishy fo those who like seafood/fish and pate for those who don't, then of course the kids have melon and ham.  Maincourse, mum isn't sure this year....in the past we have had pheasants, venison, duck, goose, turkey, pork and beef.....and I seem to recall one year we didn't have meat at all and she got lots and lots of lobsters and crabs and we had a shellfish dinner!  Anyhow, it will be meat with al the veggies....sprouts - 2 colours, roast 'snips, cabbage, carrots, spuds, tattie cake, stuffing, etc.  For pud, a selection as we all like different things!  I shall make Palustrus' dear wifes choccy roullade as we had it last year and it was DEVINE!  I also supply the chrissy cake and mince pies.  My sis will probably make some sort of tart and mum will do a trifle.  There will be jelly and ice cream for the 5 kids.

Supper is my fave tho, when the cheese and cold cuts and bubble and squeak and nuts and nibbles come out!

BLOODY LOVE CHRISTMAS!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 14:37:19 »
We have a mix of German and English Christmas with doubling up of some things simply because we like them totally differently prepared!

our homecooked CD meal is shifting to NYD since we're at my inlaws for the day itself (therefore CD will be much more German than English as MIL is cooking but I have told her I'm bringing as much veg as I can carry!)

Christmas eve - Definitely German. Bratwurst*, mashed potato, mushroom* and onion gravy and sauerkraut*.

New Year's Day - Prawn Marie Rose* (don't care how out of fashion - we like it!)
roast bird+, sage and onion stuffing, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, croquette potatoes*,  garlic glazed carrots, leeks, bohnensalat (cooked cold French beans in a cream, raw onion and mayo sauce), rotkohl (red cabbage),  chipolata sausages+, bacon+, roast marrow, runner beans, cabbage, parsnips.
Christmas pudding (Carved Angel again this year - bought half price last January!)

Everything out of the lottie bar things indicated by
* dunno where it comes from other than M&S or Waitrose
+ Locally sourced/Farmers' market produce  (Goose will be from a farm a mile away assuming nothing untoward ie bird flu)

Last year we made it to 9 vegetables.  It all gets eaten -  I always cook way too much so we can do a massive Bubble and Squeak on Boxing Day!

moonbells

aqui - odd you should mention lemon, garlic and rosemary potatoes. That's what we tried on Wednesday with the last of the Red Duke of Yorks. Didn't peel them or anything, just parboiled whole and then stuffed into oven with flavourings. Yum!
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 14:57:30 »
I love chirstmas - not

You and I both Redclanger ...

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 16:00:20 »
I understand your frustration with the cooking Wardy, that is why I do the whole meal. The only bit I request assistance with is the custard ... no don't laugh, we all struggle somewhere. I think I enjoy eating all the leftover turkey afterwards, I dont have any problem there. We will also have a decent joint of beef, another of my delights, with raw onion and mustard. yum.

I am preparing pumpkin soup for tea as I write this.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 16:20:01 »
i'm stuffed just reading these posts ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 17:14:40 »
Last time I did Xmas dins it was for 25.  (5 veggies, 1 x  doesn't eat dried fruit or nuts, 1 x gluten intollerant, 1 x lactose intollerant, 5 x kids, 2 x no alcohol, 1 x diabetic ...think that's it)  This year I get to do bubble and squeek day.  That is the easy one.  I quite like xmas as all the family get to be as daft as a brush.  All the adults nick the kids toys and we generally have a trivial pursuit where the loser has to eat the strawberry creams - yeaurk, bleugh.  Since ma died we split xmas 'tween the three sisters and that means the kids have 3 days of pressies and they are not wowed out on day one
Get with the beat Baggy

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 17:38:09 »
Our Christmas is going to be quite small this year as most of the family now live overseas. However mum and I will do a ham with jacket spuds on Christmas Eve, followed by home made mince pies. Then on Christmas Day I do brussel sprout soup (Gary Rhodes recipe - it's gorgeous) topped with crispy bacon. For the dinner in the evening we do a turkey with bacon rolls and chipolatas, sprouts and another green veg (mum and dad don't like sprouts), roasted spuds, roasted squash, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted parsnips and usually roasted shallots too. We also serve two stuffings: chestnut stuffing and "green" stuffing (parsley mainly!), and breadsauce. If there's room after all that then there's home made christmas pudding afterwards. On Boxing Day we eat "leftovers" with bubble and squeek. Oh and we do it all over again at New Year because we like it to much! I adore Christmas Dinner - it's my fave meal!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 17:42:43 »
I don't envy you that dinner Baggy, it sounded like a planner's nightmare. At least it sounds like you make Christmas day a day of simple fun. Our children used to get their presents in 3 blocks over the day, first there were 'Santa's' presents in their stockings, which they opened when they woke up. Then, after mum and dad had been brought toast and drinks, we all went downstairs, and they could open the presents from us. Finally after lunch, they opened the gifts from under the tree, from family and friends. And of course, when the visiting occurred during the holiday, there were more presents ...

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 20:41:33 »
My fave dinner is always at my dads, Boxing day.  Cold meat, roast spuds, mash, peas and pickles.  I heap the mash on the plate, mix the peas in and cover it with red cabbage and salad cream.  Pink spotty mash.  If my cubs done that they would soooooo be in trouble (I actually encourage them to be crazy).  Bubble and squeek sandwiches with chilli sauce the day after.  These are FAR better than the xmas roast.
Get with the beat Baggy

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 22:01:37 »
Plocket can you PM me Gary Rhodes brussel soup recipe please.

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 01:01:56 »
                       Please Sir. Can I have...more?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 01:07:09 by Glyn »

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 13:51:19 »
How could you refuse that face ?
Get with the beat Baggy

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2005, 15:20:30 »
Feeling quite guilty (A'hem) reading the amount of work you are all doing. Me? Middle daughter has invited all family Christmas Eve for food and drinks. Lorna Jnr is insisting I go round to her along with Joshuas' other Nan & Grandad for Christmas dinner.(I will pop round and help her prepare). Christmas night off to party with son and daughter-in-law at a friends (I do his accounts for him). I think I have to sort my own Boxing day dinner. Boxing evening back to Lornas again for evening food and drinks, will have to take my big dining room table round.I think there will be about 19 of us Just imagine I won't have far to walk/roll home ;D Since losing Charlie the kids (bless them) just don't want me to be on my own

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2005, 17:04:21 »
Lorna - it's the same since my mum died.  Dad gets proper sick of us 3 girlies carting him here and there over Xmas (only kidding  ;D).  Come to me dad's for pink spotty mash on Boxing day.  It's a culinary treat.  ;D ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal