Author Topic: Mystery bird returns  (Read 4029 times)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Mystery bird returns
« on: November 25, 2005, 10:06:41 »
Little black and yellow bird was back in the garden this morning and I got a really good look at it.

It is Not an Oriole, it looks like some sort of Finch or Bunting but not a Yellowhammer. It's quite chunky looking, between Sparrow and Starling in size. For colour see here:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,14750.0.html

Black on head extends down the chest a bit in an elongated 'V'.

It looks like it arrived with the Starlings this morning and when the Starlings start bullying, little yellow bird can hold it's own.  Flight from what I have seen is very direct and not undulating. Looks like yellow bird is living in the area and appears to be doing well. Has been eating bread (dampened and mixed with a little sunflower oil) and raisins.

Been trying to get more pictures but it looks like I'll need to use flash to get a clear picture. Just hope that using flash won't scare the bird away forever. Didn't bother the Starlings when I tried it on them though.

Off to search the net again, any leads greatfully accepted.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Mystery bird returns
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 13:52:57 »
You got me stumped.  Got Bill Oddies book out and the ones I see are Icterine Warbler.  Pallas's Warbler.  Hows about the Grey Wagtail?  but am sure you would have recognised that one.  Oh dear.  We may never find out!!   Lucky you though, a change from the usual birds.  Glad its enjoying your feed as well.

:D :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 15:42:22 »
Not yours, but rather nice, I thought?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 15:48:57 »
Have to agree Tim. 

How about this one a Weaver(?):

This picture is taken from http://www.birdforum.net where I am an infrequent visitor.  There is a thread about Twospots's yellow bird on there - it can be found here
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 16:14:43 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 16:10:02 »
What a little beauty Tim!

Hi Twospot  :)

How about this gorgeous American Goldfinch ?   

Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 16:55:49 »
Was browsing in WH Smiths and looked through the 'bird books' there, hows about  a Black headed Bunting.  Oh well, its worth a try Two Spot. 

:o :o :o

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 19:32:59 »
Hi All,

Been searching all day on the internet, tried to send replies earlier but my computer keeps restarting  itself :(

Anyway, found a Danish site that has 1000's of bird photos (over 8000) and have been looking through them but haven't come up with anything so far.

One possibility I have been looking into (and how I stumbled upon the Danish site) is a Black_Headed/Red_Headed Bunting Hybrid. These Buntings are very closely related and where there ranges cross, they hybridize. There are pictures on the Danish website of a bird or birds believed to be this hybrid and the pictures were taken in the Scilly Isles.

Some sort of Weaver is a possibility RC but tail on my bird is longer than that of your one with the black on the head extending over the crown and ending about the nape. The black also extends down the throat and onto the breast in a narrow 'V' shape. Bird also didn't have red eyes.

American Goldfinch completely ruled out MagpieDi but thanks anyway.

Lovely picture Tim of a beautiful little bird.

Oh and there is more colour on the tail than I originally thought.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 19:59:14 »
Well this investigation is obvioulsy keeping quite a few of us usefully occupied and entertained anyway.  I'd looked at the Buntings and thought - naaah!

Black Headed Bunting
+
[/size]
Red Headed Bunting
=
[/size]
A Twospot bird?

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 20:47:01 »
That picture of the Red-Headed Bunting is almost it. Give it a black head and dribble the black down its chest a bit and that's my bird.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Re: Mystery bird returns: Update
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 14:39:11 »
Saw Yellow Bird briefly this morning. Everything in the garden is very jumpy today including Yellow Bird. Last time the birds were this nervous it turned out that there was a Bird of Prey out and about. Think it had been a Peregrine Falcon judging by the sudden shower of Pigeon feathers.

Was feeling a bit miffed that Yellow Bird didn't stop to feed then half an hour after I'd given up watching, I looked up and spotted 4 Bullfinches!!!  ;D, 1 female and 3 males. First time visitors for my garden, got some piccies too so I'm feeling chuffed to bits and hope they come back tomorrow.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 15:34:02 »
Here's the best picture I've got so far on the mystery bird:

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 16:18:59 »
Love these posts Twospot, when I've got time to 'google' !  ;)  Really enjoy perusing the bird pics, and learning lots at the same time!

Have found these 2 pics for you, as we're going with 'buntings', but no idea of their natural habitat.  ;)

P.S.  Look forward to seeing pics of the bullfinches   :)

Male red-headed bunting

Male yellow-breasted bunting

Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 19:55:32 »
Twospot, do we know anymore about the elusive birdie in the garden please?  :)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 19:43:32 »
Hi YP, Don't really know anymore about yellow bird yet. Possibility of it being some sort of escaped caged bird, possibly a hybrid.

Possibilities are some sort of Weaver Hybrid or Canary Hybrid or still think it could be a Black-headed/Red-headed Bunting Hybrid, these two Buntings which are closely related frequently hybridize where their ranges meet in the wild and their hybrids have been recorded as far west as the Scilly Isles.

Treacletop

• Quarter Acre
  • Mad woman with Sword!
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 18:01:22 »
Twospot..I am intrigued!!
You'll have to lay in the garedn for weeks so it gets used to you and then take a piccy of it!!

;D
Be true to yourself..nobody else will!

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2005, 18:47:11 »
I'd wait to see if it ever comes back first.  My fear is that the recent cold weather had got it as the first post in this thread was before we had had a frost.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2005, 23:50:32 »
The mystery bird appears to be a YELLOW HAMMER, i saw a repeat of spring watch on tv this evening, and yes it certainly looks like it . ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 01:22:19 »
That bird appears to have a black, or at least very dark, head, and yellowhammer doesn't. It's browner than that as well.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 10:30:59 »
You're right Robert, bird does have a black head. I'd referred to it as being a hood (as in hooded crow) when I posted about it on bird forum and was told that the marking was called a black face  :-\ even though I described the black as starting from the nape, extending over the crown and face and down on to the breast in an elongated 'V' shape. Maybe I should have added that the black also covers the ear-coverts and cheeks.

RC, temperatures were well below freezing when the bird first appeared. If the bird is still around, I wish it would visit my garden again .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal