Author Topic: sprouts  (Read 2428 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
sprouts
« on: November 08, 2005, 14:26:37 »
My sprouts have been pretty neglected- I planted them very late and I think I mentioned the flies before! but I noticed this week that there are actually some sprout-like growths on some of them, but they seem to be either like mini cabbages, i.e. the leaves unfurling, or too small to bother with. Are the former still edible, and what's the best way to harvest them? ???

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: sprouts
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 14:29:18 »
My sprouts have been pretty neglected- I planted them very late and I think I mentioned the flies before! but I noticed this week that there are actually some sprout-like growths on some of them, but they seem to be either like mini cabbages, i.e. the leaves unfurling, or too small to bother with. Are the former still edible, and what's the best way to harvest them? ???

Blown sprouts are fine to eat, we roughly shred them and stir fry in a drop of sesame oil, very tasty.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 18:39:28 »
And don't forget you can eat the tops of the plants!

The green sprout I have grown this year is Brilliant from Tuckers, and like it's name, it is brilliant!  The stems are smothered in big tight sprouts from ground to the top of the plants, and I have been able to pick for weeks now, and the way they are going, for weeks to come!  The red one I am growing is Red Bull (or is that ball?) and these have been slower, thanks to a catterpillar attack, but now there are some big (slightly bigger than a marble) sized sprouts running up the stems, so they will be just in time for Christmas!

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 21:57:12 »
We ate some tops last night for dinner, very tasty!

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 07:06:59 »
Do you not find lots of white powder in the top of the sprout cane? Is this just mildew?
Thanks ;D
Chris Pea

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 20:33:31 »
Could be pidgeon crap?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 12:14:39 »
I've got serious sprout envy. We only got our plot early this year, and for one reason or another we left it too late to get our sprouts in. And now everywhere I look down at the allotment site there seems to be acres of them growing..Hopefully one of our neighbours will notice my pitiful glances and will donate some of theirs for our Christmas dinner.

I'll bloody remember for next year though :)

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
    • 21st Century Good Life?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 12:42:15 »
caterpillers decimated my sprout plants in september. i kept them in the groudn even though they had no foliage at all and they have started to come back with a vengeance - they even have sprouts all over them now!

BTW whats the best way to stop caterpillers?
Check out my blog. updated on wednesday 30th November 2005 you can say hello to my chickens ;D
http://21stcenturygoodlife.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 13:01:26 »
Shotgun! ;D

Nobbyman

• Half Acre
  • The Monkey's Always Right!! (Brissle Here!!)
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 17:27:01 »
Hi all!!!

Do I need to net my sprouts from the dreaded pigeons this winter?

Nobbs xx  8)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 17:32:40 »
I have been a little disappointed with my sprouts this year.  They grew quite well but they must have been an early variety as they are almost finished now.  I always look forward to picking some for the Christmas Dinner.  It has been my tradition over the past few years to go over on Christmas Eve to pick them for Christmas Day, but not this year.  I have picked  almost the last, only a few stragglers left, and I hope I can freeze some of my picked ones.  I didn't grow them from seeds but bought plants from the Green Market in Newcastle, so I don't know what variety they are.  Anyone got any advice for next year?  What variety of seed should I get that will be at their best  for next Christmas.  Is your "Brilliant" variety going to give you sprouts for Christmas EJ?  I netted mine to start with Nobbs, but when they were  about two to three feet tall I took the net off and they were fine. We have a terrible problem with pigeons at my end of the allotments. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

JohnnyLarge

• Not So New ...
  • Rotovator Motivator!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 17:47:04 »
I don't wish to be smug but my Sprouts are great this year. ;D
I have grown the 'Groninger' variety from Wilko's.
A couple of the stems have got a bit blown but all in all they are superb. The taste is really good and I am sure it will get better after a few frosts.
Where is the smug smilie? 8)
John :D
If at first you don't succeed, Think... Sod It, and find something else to do!

JohnnyLarge

• Not So New ...
  • Rotovator Motivator!
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 18:14:47 »
We have a problem with woodpigeons on our allotments. However I am a keen airgunner and I am allowed to shoot them as long as I am discreet and don't cause any damage.
John :)
If at first you don't succeed, Think... Sod It, and find something else to do!

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 20:31:42 »
Our sprouts seem to have blown with the warm weather...i'm hoping last nights frosts sorted some of them out.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 00:11:38 »
Aussie, I don't think the cold snap will make them button up, once blown, always blown, but still delicious!

My 'brilliant' sprouts and smothered BL and should have loads for Christmas, altho they are huge, and have all been pretty big, and very tightly packed up the stems.  The redball purple sprouts are going to be later and I think I will have plenty of small buttons to accompany the beefier green sprouts, but think they will really come into their own in the new year.

Yes, net them, food for the birdies will be thin on the ground over winter, and they like brussels tops as much as we do!

Sometimes the white you see in the tops can be mildew or brassica white fly.

If you still have plants that are going to be in the ground to provide sprouts into the new year, if you haven't already, and you are on an exposed or windy site, don't forget to stake the plants to keep them firm!

And you with your sprout envy, I have cauli envy - just can't get them to do the business, however, have high hopes for calabrasse and early sprouting broc as they are standing about 80 foot tall now and I need a step ladder to see the bloody things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2005, 09:55:17 »
Article on purple sprouts in the Grauniad!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1648458,00.html

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal