Author Topic: Winter Colour  (Read 2470 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Winter Colour
« on: November 21, 2005, 13:58:04 »
Just wanted to show you a bit of colour still in the garden

Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Winter Colour
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 14:09:16 »
 :D :D :D :D

Super pics. Mimi.  you are lucky to still have some colour in your garden.  This latest frost has taken ours am afraid.  Watched the begonias dissolve to the frost.  Even the fuschias have succumbed as well.   Glad you still have the colour. 

;D ;D ;D ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 14:22:25 »
Lovely colours. So vibrant.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 16:43:10 »
I really enjoyed looking at those pics. Like a bit of sunshine coming in to the room on this miserable, cold and very foggy afternoon. Thank you.

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 17:30:20 »
Lovely Mimi ;D

I hear you're getting a new cafe on top of the "Hill"
;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 17:34:04 by Glyn »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 17:35:07 »
Heart-warming pictures. Lucky old you! And the joy of the computer is that you can enjoy them whenever the mood takes. Far better than an album.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 18:44:35 »
 :o  Gosh Glyn you can see my house from there   ;)  Im not kidding either.  I can see the smoke from the train and can just make out the cafe on a clear day

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 19:06:17 »
Mimi, you luckygirl...the wife and I just love it there.
Are you going to visit the new cafe?  ( "A slum" as Prince Charlie called it..cheek. :o)  When they've built it that is?

;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 19:19:39 by Glyn »

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 19:26:58 »
Glyn I am ashamed to say that I have never been up Snowdon  :-[  Mind you its been a glorious day to do it today but I had sooooooooo much to do in the garden.... Maybe tomorrow   ;)

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 19:48:12 »
I remember you saying that before Mimi. But, eventually you'll make it up there I'm sure. When you do get there, have yourself a nice cuppa.
Apparently because of the altitude, hence less Oxygen in the water, it makes for a nice cup of tea.
;D ;D ;D ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:45:23 »
Hmmm not sure about the nice cup of tea. If you have made tea where the water's not boiling, and noticed a taste difference, that's what you'll get up a mountain.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html
is fun to play with but doesn't cover all pressures.

eg at 1020mB pressure (we're currently in a High of 1038 but the calc won't go that high!)
water at sea level boils at 99.813 C
but at 1085m (Snowdon) it's 96.344 C

However you will indeed get a better cup of coffee - you shouldn't use boiling water there or it burns the beans!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 11:34:39 »
Hmmm not sure about the nice cup of tea. If you have made tea where the water's not boiling, and noticed a taste difference, that's what you'll get up a mountain.
Just knew someone somewhere would comment on this.
Cheers Moonbells. ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 20:49:13 »
I've stood on the roof of the old cafe (strictly some feet above the roof) at 2am on a February night and seen the moonlight gleaming on mountains right across Wales. I hope the new one disappears as effectively, so the mountain can still be itself for at least part of the year.

Glyn

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 21:20:09 »
I've stood on the roof of the old cafe (strictly some feet above the roof) at 2am on a February night and seen the moonlight gleaming on mountains right across Wales. I hope the new one disappears as effectively, so the mountain can still be itself for at least part of the year.

Robert, have you any photos? (not that I don't believe you) but that sounds fantastic. 2am on a February night, looking across at the Welsh mountains from the top of Snowdonia...It must have seemed magical?
Been up there three times meself, but could never see more than four foot in front of me because of the ever present clouds.
You lucky person you? ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 22:59:21 »
Would love to see the view from the top.  For now will have to make do with the view from the bottom...... Winter view from my kitchen sink.  ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 19:17:56 »
I didn't have a camera with me unfortunately. It was in 1977; I got stuck hitching to the Llanberis Pass one very cold night during a snowy spell, and finally got there about midnight. I'd always wanted to climb Snowdon in moonlight and snow, so I went and did the Horseshoe. I was the only one on the mountain, and it all went well until I came to descend from the summit towards Llewedd. It was a steep snow slope with rocks sticking out, and most of it was breakable crust with hard ice underneath. Every few feet a great slab a few inches thick broke away and disappeared into the darkness, and went dead slow making very sure my feet were into the hard stuff underneath. It took two hours to reach the col, which must be something like a record. Normally I used to do it in ten minutes.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 00:06:09 »
Loved your pics Mimi. It is fantastic to see all that colour at this time of the year.  Really cheers you up and reminds you of summer. Thanks for sharing.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal