Author Topic: Bubble wrap insulation - Panic Buying?  (Read 2412 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Bubble wrap insulation - Panic Buying?
« on: November 18, 2005, 23:36:26 »
Has anyone else been 'caught out' this week and realised they needed to insulate their greenhouse?

I did and so it seems did many others in West Dorset and South Somerset. Decided yesterday it would be best to get some bubble wrap to do the GH. Visited 3 GCs before finding what i wanted at the fourth. Even then they didnt have enoughof the grade i wanted and had to have some of a different one to make up the difference.

It seems the current cold snap made everyone panic a bit. Especialy with the media hyping up a long hard winter. I reckon many thought 'Here we go, this is it'. It probably isnt though....

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
Re: Bubble wrap insulation - Panic Buying?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 21:45:02 »
Hi GC - in a couple of minutes I found a supplier on the internet who has a range of bubblewrap ie: different widths and bubble sizes and I think, lengths too.  For example you can buy 2 x 50 metre x 750mm wide rolls of large bubble for about £54 on a next day delivery.  You could possibly sell the second roll which would reduce your cost - perhaps next year? 

Good luck

clodhopper

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:56:05 »
Hi GC - in a couple of minutes I found a supplier on the internet who has a range of bubblewrap ie: different widths and bubble sizes and I think, lengths too.  For example you can buy 2 x 50 metre x 750mm wide rolls of large bubble for about £54 on a next day delivery.  You could possibly sell the second roll which would reduce your cost - perhaps next year? 
Good luck clodhopper

Thats OK clodhopper, I am all sorted now. Spent yesterday morning fitting the insulation. In the end I got too much of the stuff!

I reckoned on 12m for a 6'x6' greenhouse. I bought 9m of one grade of bubble wrap and 3 m of another grade. The 9m piece did all but the door section, leaving me with 3m to make an inner 'door' of bubble wrap to insulate the door area.  Fortunately I can find other uses for the spare so it wont be wasted.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 14:57:43 »
Yes you could wizz up and down on it in your computer chair to get that satifying popping sound.  Or is that just me that does that ?
Get with the beat Baggy

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 15:32:36 »
oooh yes- but i just stamp on it- no wheelie computer chair :(
I LOVE OP AMPS!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 18:33:39 »
Id do something like that with FREE bubble wrap, not stuff i have actualy had to PAY for!

Whilst i was cutting it out to fit different places i had to be carefull not to kneel on it an pop the bubbles. ;D

No the spare will get used for the cold frame, mini greenhouse or large pots I want  to protect from frost.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal