Author Topic: Running Costs of Heaters  (Read 3284 times)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Running Costs of Heaters
« on: November 18, 2005, 11:44:42 »
Hi All
I'm considering whether to purchase a heater and wondered what the running costs are?? as i've seen "parosene" in garden centres for around £4.50 per 5litre / Gallon. Is this so different from parrafin??

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=GHE-005&ctgry=Greenhouse%20Equipment_Heaters&cookie%5Ftest=1

I've been looking at this one as it says it will do a full week on ONE filling, but i still think its rather expensive!!
Advice please!!!!
Cheers KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Running Costs of Heaters
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 13:33:33 »
The burning times are a bit misleading. You might be able to get a week out of one of them if you have it on 'pilot light' setting, but if you want it to actully heat a greenhouse I think a week is not true.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 23:42:41 »
The burning times are a bit misleading. You might be able to get a week out of one of them if you have it on 'pilot light' setting, but if you want it to actully heat a greenhouse I think a week is not true.

I have one of these. What do you mean by 'pilot light setting'? I thought these things only had one (safe) setting, any higher and you'll 'gas' your plants (?). Clarify please.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 22:04:04 »
Hi All
I'm considering whether to purchase a heater and wondered what the running costs are?? as i've seen "parosene" in garden centres for around £4.50 per 5litre / Gallon. Is this so different from parrafin??

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=GHE-005&ctgry=Greenhouse%20Equipment_Heaters&cookie%5Ftest=1

I've been looking at this one as it says it will do a full week on ONE filling, but i still think its rather expensive!!
Advice please!!!!
Cheers KevB

It is paraffin or kerosene if across the 'pond' and you need to run them on the recommended optimum setting otherwise you will smoke the place out, burn the wick and crap up the heater.  If they claim 7 days then you should get that but it may not be enough on really cold nights without insulating your house.  Don't seal it too much of course as you are likely to get condensation problems. 
Good luck.

clodhopper

KevB

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 16:00:24 »
Where does eveyone buy paraffin these days?? surely not from garden centres!!! Cheers Kevb

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 18:39:40 »
Where does eveyone buy paraffin these days?? surely not from garden centres!!! Cheers Kevb

???!!!

Where else would we get it?

grassroots

• Half Acre
  • If at first you dont succeed GIVE UP.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 22:50:41 »

???!!!

Where else would we get it?
Try an inderpendent garage if you can find one

KevB

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 09:42:56 »
This maybe the place to find the cheaper alternative to garden centres for all our paraffin needs!! (I Hope) just email the company to find your closest distributor!!
http://www.caldo.co.uk/paraffin/index.htm

Cheers KevB

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 10:00:38 »
We get our parafin from a local place that sells lawnmowers, chainsaws and the like - just take along a couple of old parafin tins and they fill them up for a fraction of cost of local garden centre :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal