Author Topic: Bad things your dog can eat but might need a visit to the vet for doing so  (Read 19620 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
 ;D ;D Just a heavy cough ;)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

reedos

• Half Acre
Our puppy Charlie eats anything he can rake out of the bin and I mean anything, he has a particular liking for snotty tissues. At the lottie he likes those bio-degradeable plant pot things. ???

Paulines7

• Hectare
Our springer spaniel Meggie chewed up and ate vinyl tiles when she was a puppy.  She pulled them off the floor herself.

Fortunately she has grown out of the chewing stage but she has eaten some awful things including a denture with one tooth, socks and dirty tissues.  The worst thing is that if I am sluggish in removing the poos from the cat's litter tray, I find that Meggie has got there first!   ugh! 

Pauline

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
Bingley, my Field Spaniel can be pretty bad.  He steals anything that is below knee height and takes them off to his bed, where he hides them under the liner.  If we can't find anything we check his bed first! :D 
I'm lucky because so far he only steals away with empty crisp packets or meat wrappers out of the bin, though we've had to put a child gate on the door to stop him emptying the cat tray for us! :P

My old dog, Caley, a Golden Retriever was a nightmare when he was younger for eating sheep doings, which used to worry me, in case he got liver flukes. ::)

The things our darling dogs do! ;D

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

Paulines7

• Hectare
Our dog Meggie has been a bit off colour for the past 6 days and has often retched but not actually been sick.  :'(  Tonight though she actually brought up what had been troubling her.  It was the netting from the large joint of beef that we had on New Years Day.  ::) Thank goodness it didn't get entangled in her intestines.  So where did she get it from?  She went into the rubbish sacks and took it out.  We hope she has nothing more inside her that shouldn't be there.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Meggie took her time getting rid of that Pauline - glad there were no real  repercussions - could have been nasty.  Dogs are a problem sometimes aren't they.  You can't be watching them 24/7 - we have one similar to Meggie, will scavenge anything he can get hold of.  Hope Meggie hasn't got anything else lurking inside ::) :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Paulines7

• Hectare
Meggie had an diahorrea yesterday but seems better today.  :(  We are keeping a close eye on her nonetheless incase she has eaten anything else.  I caught her with the tin tray from a mince pie a couple of days ago.   :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 17:18:44 by Paulines7 »

Larkspur

• Acre
My bull terrier (now gone to the kennel in the sky) once ate a pound of butter. He was very, very (how many verys do you want) sick, but he was OK a couple of hours later.

moudie

• Not So New ...
My English Setter pregnant dog GIgha swallowed rat poison .I had mice in my garage and placed the little cardboard poison holder way out of reach of any animal (but mice)The little sh...s had dragged it out into the open and doggy wolfed it right down.I got as much as I could out of her mouth and called the vet...who advised getting som salty water down her throat to induce vomiting.OK so I done that ....but Gigha didn't take kindly to that and passed out !
I got her concious again eventually  :oand took her straight to the vet who gave her an injection to bring the rest of her stomach contents up.
She survived.....but both of us wont forget that little episode in a hurry.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
One night when we were out Sophie and Suzy helped themselves to a half pound of smoked salmon that had been left on the worktop to defrost (out of their reach we thought ::)) and a bottle of Glenlivet. WE still haven't worked out how they got the cork out. They slept well and the house smelt like a distillery for days. :) :)

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
Well im not going to even try to list what my 6 dogs have eaten in the past but neadless to say the list would be very long  ;D
They now have a room of their own so can't get into any trouble (in theory) but if you come round to see me DON'T put you cup of tea on the floor  ;D   ;D

pntalbot

• Half Acre
We  have a GSD Pup-- 14 weeks old and eats small stones in our back Garden, although they come out, when she goes to the toilet, what we are frightened of, if she, swallows a Large stone and it won`t  pass.We watch her, most of the time, in the garden.
HOW CAN WE STOP, THIS STONE EATING ? ?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Try to get her to chew something else. Like dog chews? ::)
Could be cutting teeth or could be something dietary? But most likely just puppy daftness. :) She'll probably grow out of it but I suppose the point is that you do want her to grow and not get gut blocked with stones... Mmmm

Looby Loo

• Half Acre
    • Louise Jayne photography
When our Meggie (an English Springer) was cutting her teeth she developed a liking for the arm of one of the chairs, she wouldn't chew it as such, rather just run her teeth up and down it. After a few ignored "OY No, yer little bugger." I asked the lady who ran the puppy classes for a bit of advice. She suggested rubbing the chair arm with a fresh chilli, so I went home, cut open a fresh scotch bonnet and applied it liberally to the chair arm, whilst doing so Megs ran over and grabbed a lump of the pepper, seeds and all and wolfed it down and then looked at me with a "Cor, that were good Dad, got any more." expression on her face. Blinking dogs, if they weren't so much fun they'd drive you mad wouldn't they.

ll oh.

Paulines7

• Hectare
I bet she drank a lot of water after eating that chilli, Looby Loo   :o   
Our Meggie chewed through the bars of a wooden stool when she was teething.  >:(

She is good now though.  I bought her a soft toy "Incy Wincy Spider" from Tesco for Christmas.  I didn't expect it to last long as I thought she would chew the legs off in no time.  She has proved me wrong though and the cuddly toy is still as good as the day it was bought.  She takes it everywhere with her, carrying it around in her mouth, up and down stairs, onto the bed at night.  She sometimes forgets it at bedtime, in which case I ask her where it is and she runs off down the stairs and fetches it.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Suzy has ducks which - surprise surprise - go "quack, quack, quack". She always brings me one first thing in the morning. She's really gentle with them so they're 4, like her.

firewolfpuppy

hihi im new woof woof!!! :D

firewolfpuppy

hi i was wondering if someone could give me or sell me a puppy huskey or a shiba?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
umerr ... I think you would have to go through lots of suitability tests before any of the husky owners would even consider you.  :( :(

Also have you asked your parents?? ;)

digswell

• Not So New ...
Our Lilly is very partial to kitchen towel and paper napkins, partly rotted leaves in the garden, and blocks of Lindt chocolate, which she deftly steals off the table, and unwraps before eating. Mince pies and Vienese whirls are other favourites, taken from a table and removed from the foil wrappers.

Pretty standard stuff for a greyhound we have been told! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal