Author Topic: Greenhouse vents and greenhouse insulation  (Read 1731 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Greenhouse vents and greenhouse insulation
« on: November 20, 2005, 11:13:01 »
I have just insulated my GH with bubble wrap , however i am unsure what to do about my vent which is equiped with an automatic opener.

On the one hand I want to make the GH as insulated as possible, so not insulating the vent does not seem a good idea, on the other hand the 'house needs ventilation now more than ever.

At present the insulation material covers the vent, I know this is not the best plan but whats the alternative? I was thinking of cutting a flap in the bubble wrap to allow the vent to open but remain insulated, however there seems no way to fix the insulation to the vent ( there are no slotted glazing bars so cant use the fixers used elsewhere in the GH).

Can anyone help and advise me please?

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Greenhouse vents and greenhouse insulation
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 19:58:22 »
I cut a flap in the bubble wrap and then taped it to the vent.  Not very successful had to replace the tape about every 6 weeks and it was tape for external use.  Last year I cut a slit in the bubble wrap and allowed the arm of the automatic vent to poke through and then sowed the slit shut with garden wire.  Didn't help with the ventilation, but it did stop the bubble wrap being split every time the vent opened.

grassroots

• Half Acre
  • If at first you dont succeed GIVE UP.
Re: Greenhouse vents and greenhouse insulation
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 22:34:59 »
Hi-new to all this .But i would think that with all of that insulation, you would need somesort of ventilation to stop rot setting in on wot  you have in there

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal