Author Topic: Seaweed  (Read 2151 times)

Lottie3

• Not So New ...
Seaweed
« on: November 18, 2005, 22:08:23 »
I have heard that seaweed is really good to use. Can anyone tell me how I should use it?

Thanks

Lottie

AikenDrum

• Acre
Re: Seaweed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 22:15:18 »
I'm not an expert by any means  .. well, just 67 exams to go, but this site may be of some use.    {:¬)#

http://www.seaweed.ie/defaultfriday.html
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Lottie3

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 22:19:26 »
Wow thanks AikenDrum

More than I could have hoped for - paying a frost seaside trip tomorrow - have lots of manure and grass mulch but wanted to try some seaweed - used it in 'bought' form this year but you know us frugal lottiers.

Thanks again for the site.

Lottie 3

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 22:26:17 »
My pleasure, and hopefully, yours    {:¬)#
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 13:49:13 »
I collect if off the beach -best after a gale as there's lots about- when I go to visit my folks. I just bung it straight on the asparagus bed -any sand and salt can only help. That's not necessarily true for other plants though.

Last year I left it in the bin bags for too long and it was the vile-est thing I've ever smelt, and the includes a clogged kitchen soakaway and stuff we made in a chemistry lecture that was supposed to be the second worst smell on the planet :o

Jeremy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 18:22:35 »
Bladderwrack is so nostalgic. Wonder if it comes from the Jersey patois - vraic?

Thing in the Sunday papers - on potatoes - & how seaweed gives Royals their special flavour.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 19:33:43 »
Vraic and wrack are so similar they must surely have a common origin; maybe Norman French? I once visited the Channel Isles on a geology field trip, and I remember all the locals seemed to be speaking French with an English accent, it was most confusing.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 19:46:00 »
I struggled with it pre-war when selling our produce.

Things like Àbitôt for À bientôt etc...............

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 20:22:24 »
I bought some dried seaweed and just sort of sprinkled it around the place - around already growing stuff and also aroung the ground before planting. I have to say - I do believe it did a lot of good. I would say that the brassicas lapped it up and the kale really came on quick with a bit sprinkled aroung their bases.
All very unscientific- but I am a convert.

SB

Lottie3

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 23:04:17 »
Thank you all - think I might try and dry it and use it in powdered form.

I remember being down in Worthing one time and the place didn't smell too fresh because of the mountains of seaweed on the beaches. Apparently the farmers used to collect the seaweed but then the council had the bright idea they would charge them for it ..... so the farmers stopped collecting. It seemed they were doing a service for free by collecting the stuff and keeping the beaches clean but the council hadn't seen it that way. ::)

Lottie

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 13:42:19 »
Perhaps more than anybody wanted to know, but, I love collecting useful information (trivia ?).     {:¬)#

http://www.societe-jersiaise.org/langsec/vraic.html

DaveM

• Not So New ...
    • http://lottie49.blog.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 18:58:34 »
I am a seaweed nut....loads of it from the eastuary you can see in my atavar lucky its from brackish water so not much risk of salt contamination.

Put a  2 inchlayer in the bottom of the potato and bean trench helps retain moisture.
Steep some with horse manure in a barrel for a great liquid feed...my toms love it.....just don't getup wind :P

Cheers

Dave
My Allotment is starting to rule my life.
Ain't life great !

Lottie3

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 23:02:12 »
Thanks all

Just finished my runner bean trench last weekend - perhaps I should dig it all back up ::)

Will keep the tip for my tatties - used grass last year and that worked well.

Lottie3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal