Author Topic: Never got to taste my kohl rabi.  (Read 2315 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
Never got to taste my kohl rabi.
« on: November 17, 2005, 10:11:41 »
Only half of my kohl rabi sprouted and grew.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like them so only planted half a dozen.

Checking them tonight (slightly bigger than golf balls) I noticed 1 missing and 2 very convoluted.  Green caterpillars sitting in there quite happily munching away half of the 'bulbs'.  They did such a tidy job.  No holes in there just half of the 'bulb' left!!  Leaves not touched so they must have been yummy.

Trouble is I don't like killing 'big' bugs.  Everything else is fine at the moment but don't now if they will spread to the nearby beetroot and the rest of the vege patch.

Do I kill them or leave them as sacrificial plants?  ???
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Never got to taste my kohl rabi.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 10:21:12 »
I have gone into print about this before. Killing is just that. The idea of sacrificial plants seems agreeable to me, but I am not sure whether it is effective.

All in, I don't think I have helped you much have I, but it was nice to post ...

Derekthefox :D

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 11:27:29 »
Blast 'em to pieces, they may eggs or something which will live in the soil ready for the next crop.

(Blast em organically of course!)

Adrian
Best laid plans and all that

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 08:57:03 »
Hi all,  :D,
               just  for a bit of info to share among you all, I have been most impressed with the variety of kohl rabi called kolibra, it is an F1 from Mr Fothergills seeds. It has a purple skin & looks fab in the ground  :o very exotic looking. I sowed some in late August/early September, & they are  eating well now, not at all woody & they don`t seem to mind the cold. I hope they will keep for a few more weeks. Next year I will sow them early, but cover them with enviromesh to keep of the cabbage root fly, don`t forget they are brassica`s  >:( .
                                                                   Adrian.

Black Forest Dan

• Quarter Acre
  • who put snow on my breakfast?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 19:53:11 »
Hi Annadl,

Unfortunately it's very late in the year for Kohlrabi. We had most success back in May-June-July and after that the bugs / slugs / other plants took most of the goodness and the Kohlrabi didn't survive beyond around July. Try again earlier next year because they're really worth it; in Germany they sell seedlings on the market stalls for 0.15 Euro (around 10p) and if the seedlings are looking sorry for themselves they'll give you the sad ones free - I got 6 seedlings for nothing and each one turned out a lovely plant and a lovely Kohlrabi.

BFD.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 22:25:02 »
Dan, Anna is in Australia, so for her summer is in full swing....lucky moo!  Therefore, she still has all those lovely veggies to come.....those that are a mere memory to us...boohoo boohoo.  ;D

Anna, I would say squish them, if they like your kohl rabi, then they will love your beetroots! 

My kohl rabi have been great again this year, a light green, dark green and purple types, and I have about 8 in the ground still..wonder how they are coping with these freezing frosts.....  :-\

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 13:23:16 »
Anna, may I suggest you use this as your avatar.  It may prevent some confusion.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 14:30:44 »
Hey Redclanger what a great idea!

But I don't know how to add an avatar.  You might need to pm me.

Thanks, Anna

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 14:40:43 »
Howzat!!

Great instructions redclanger.

I've got an avatar, I've got an avatar... ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal