Author Topic: Winter Broad Beans  (Read 3797 times)

colleenemp

• Half Acre
Winter Broad Beans
« on: November 15, 2005, 08:52:12 »
SO! Have got some broad bean plantlets, all about 6 inches high, bargain bin at local garden center. Variety is Aquadulce Claudia. Also have some fleece..... Should I bung em in the ground and hope, or put fleece over and hope once they are in???? All tips and advice greatfully recieved as i LOVE broad beans and desparately want them to do their beany thing as best they can!!!! (Hello Wardy?!) (Anyone?!)  ???

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Winter Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 09:15:58 »
Colleen, I would bung em in, and if you wan't to give them a bit more protection, throw the fleece over, I don't bother with fleece meself, but it wouldn't hurt.  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 10:34:40 »
Thankyou! Will set to, then worry...then revisit allotment several times to put on/take off fleece...then cover half of them.... LOL  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 11:15:41 »
Since this topic is running, is it too late to germinate some beans now, I thought of keeping them in small pots over the winter, then planting out in Feb time ...

Derekthefox :D

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 11:17:13 »
I'm hoping to get a few popped in at the weekend. I think so long as we still get a bit of mild weather, they will germinate just fine - but then I'm always optomistic about these things!

SB

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 11:19:06 »
I just bought some (autumn sowing) broad bean seeds and it says you can plant them anytime during Nov/Dec/Jan.

I'm no expert but that sounds like the coldest stretch to me. So mine are going in whatever the weather.
Now if only this rain would give up!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 11:30:09 »
Now is fine, cold is not so much a problem as damp and the seed can rot off if the soil is too wet.

I sowed mine a couple of weeks ago on heavy clay and they are all up just about now.

If you sow in pots in a cold greenhouse they will get away just fine but make sure you harden them of well prior to planting out.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 12:26:07 »
If you're starting them off indoors plant 'em deep - a 3" pot is no good. You just end up with kind of leggy plants which blow about too much and weaken in winter weather.

I cut the top off those tall 'Tropicana' orange juice tetrapax (donated by a posh neighbour!) and use them...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 12:49:42 »
I intend to use jennym's technique, germinate in a large tray, then plant up into decent pots, I have lots that are 4 inches deep. When they are a few inches high, then they can be planted out, at a time to suit the ground conditions ...

Derekthefox :D

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 12:51:56 »
I am experimenting with using 2 l pop bottles as starter cloches. Cut the pointy end off and pop em over the top of taller plants, 'cause they are so long you can anchor them in a bit to stop the dreaded blowing away into hawthorn Wardy!
Am getting into scruffs now and am off to plant out beans. Will leave some exposed, some will have pop bottle cloche and others' fleece....that should mean that some will survive surely????

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 13:03:24 »
I shall get the scissors out 

a hacksaw is even easier - £2 from Focus...
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 13:36:42 »
I planted some broad bean seeds a few weeks ago, directly in the ground - no sign of them yet.  And last weekend I planted, some of the same beans that I had growing in pots in the greenhouse, about 6 ins high.  Have covered all of them with fleece, and keeping fingers crossed. :)

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 14:33:37 »
I bought some from a stall on the market - just 85p for 1/2 pint of seeds - and almost all of them have germinated and are on their way! Put them in 2 or 3 weeks ago - not even sure if I like them but at 85p they'll stick loads of Nitrogen in the soil if nothing else!

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 16:02:12 »
Beans are in the ground and have an attractive canapy of fleece using other's throwaway branches as tent poles. Looks like a wedding! - If you happen to be Jewish....

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 17:15:58 »
Broad beans can take ages to show - even longer if the mice have had 'em...!
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 17:39:21 »
The mice broke in to my storage box and ate most of a packet of broad beans before I even had time to plant them! Lost quite a lot from the ground last year - so this year have tried tucking them up under enviromesh with the edges well sunk in the ground, not to protect from the elements, just the wildlife!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 19:02:47 »
Mine are in 3" pots but then again I bury everything up to first leaf when I plant them out anyway.  Makes things bushier, sturdier and higher yielding.  I heard that on GQT.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 21:13:30 »
I start mine in the greenhouse,then into the polytunnel to harden a bit,and finally plant out under the tried and trusted water pipe and polythene cloches.

Now would not be too late

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 08:17:56 »
Mine are in 3" pots but then again I bury everything up to first leaf when I plant them out anyway. Makes things bushier, sturdier and higher yielding. I heard that on GQT.
Aha! Have planted mine up to first leaf too, they looked a little leggy.... :)

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 19:40:23 »
Thought my Aquadulce had rotted as it has rained consistently since I put them in the Lottie........lo and behold they're all up and looking good  as of the weekend!!   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal