Author Topic: Should I get one  (Read 2615 times)

• I love Allotments 4 All
Should I get one
« on: April 12, 2003, 17:20:53 »
Hi,

I am thinking about getting an allotment - but can not decide if it is worth it.

I'd want to grow vegetables, and maybe some berries - is this realistic ?

How much do they cost - is it tens of pounds a year, or hundreds ?

Also how much time do people put into the plots on a weekly basis - roughly.

Any replies gratefully recieved.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

fruitbat

• Not So New ...
Re: Should I get one
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 20:27:20 »
Hi Newbie

I'm hardly the most experienced at this but here goes.

Certainly allotments are ideal for vegetable growing - you need to prepare your soil and rotate your crops to minimise the risk of disease. Grow some comfrey on your plot and have 2 compost heaps - a new one and a mature one. Think organic!

On our site in Bucks the sites come in 2 sizes - 5 pole (about 150 sq yards) and 10 pole (300 sq yards). Choose the smaller size to start with unless you trying to feed a very large family. Our allotments cost £1.45 per pole per year to lease - so a 5 pole site costs the princely sum of £7.25 per year.

You should aim to spend some time most days on your allotment. The more care, the better the crop. And aim to spend a few hours at the weekends. Some people seem to be always on their allotment though!

Hope this helps a little.

Fruitbat

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 17:07:27 »
Hi Newbie,

I think it depends on what part of the country you live, to the cost, of a plot.  Mine are more expensive, £1.45 per pole sounds good to me.

I am a more thinking gardener than a doer.  And next year always appeals to me much more ;D  It is great fun if you don't want to take it too serious and an allotment certainly has something magic about it.

If this is your first year just don't aim to high.  Plant a few fruit bushes and grow a few veg, you will either get the bug for an allotment or not.
Chloe:)

gremlin

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 01:12:47 »
hello

i also am thinking of getting an allotment but don't know of anywhere local.

how far away from home do people travel?

If anyone knows of allotments in or around Westhoughton or Bolton in North West England please reply to this message.

many thanks ;)

cabbagepatchkid

• Quarter Acre
  • extreme novice
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 02:47:02 »
Hello

I think it is always worth a go at growing on an allotment if it has ever taken your fancy.  Mine was £24 for a half plot for the year including council/committee fees (comparing it to others sounds like i was fleeced but still think it is very reasonable).  Yes there will always be those that spend all the hours at their allotments but lets face it most of us have other things to do too!  I think you can still make a go of it even if you can only spend a few hours each week - or at least I hope so!!

gavink

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 19:39:24 »
Go for it!!!

The taste of newly picked seasonal vegetables is out of this world.  And I can grow stuff I never see in the shops (romanesco is my favourite), or ludicrously expensive for a bit of dried up greenish stuff (fresh asparagus - WOW!).

We've two plots - the first year was real hard labour, clearing and preparing the soil; our plots were both very overgrown.  But once cleaned, we get by with spending a few hours each Sunday.  Very occasionally, I'll make a visit during the week - and we time our preparation, sowing and harvest for the school holidays when we've a lot of free time.

Our rent is about £30 a year for the two.  Well worth it.  Warning, though - they do become addictive!

All best - Gavin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal