Author Topic: Sloppy Spuds  (Read 4069 times)

Bath_Bun

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Sloppy Spuds
« on: November 02, 2005, 11:25:03 »
Have grown King Edwards for the second year running.  Yield is much lower this year but the main problem is on cooking.  No matter how careful I am they disintegrate in the pan and I end up pouring them onto the plate (at least it negates the need to mash them!!).  The tubers are absolutely perfect and are storing well.  Does anyone have any ideas why this should be happening and are there any recommendations for a different maincrop to try next year.  I have been told Valor is a good one.

Meg

• Acre
Re: Sloppy Spuds
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:40:20 »
Well.......I lived in Shetland for a long time and the people there just loved that effect. They called them mealy tatties. You slowly boil them when cooked pour the water off and drain several times leave the heat on the hob and return pan back to hob with lid on. Depending on how hot your hob is turn off or leave on low for a few minutes.  The "soggy" potatoes then "dry" up making them hopefully fluffy ones. You can always try it. I know what you mean though and you don't want just a  claggy mess. Then you could of course use them for soup. Leek and potatoe.
Marigold

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:59:13 »
Had to reply to this - as I munch a bowlful of leek and potato soup - all homegrown - and some toast.

The problem with this year's spuds seems to be the summer's dryness - all spuds that are usually waxy are more floury and those naturally floury are more so - everything is falling in the pan. Steaming saves them a bit, but in general they all seem to be mushing up. I even have pink fir apples that fall around the edges when boiled.

Try steaming them. It helps a bit! If we have a wetter summer next year, then they'll be back to normal.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Bath_Bun

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 13:38:32 »
Thanks for your suggestions.  Down here the weather was dry at the beginning and then very wet towards the end.  I was wondering whether the spuds soaking up lots of water towards the end could be the problem.  Not a lot I can do about that though.

I will certainly try boiling slightly and then putting back in a dry pan.  Might work out slightly better than potato soup with everything at the moment!

Treacletop

• Quarter Acre
  • Mad woman with Sword!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 13:49:50 »
 :) You could alway shave roasties with every meal!!!
Be true to yourself..nobody else will!

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 13:55:18 »
 ;)Yum know we are talking. Bet they would be good chips too. What about saute??
Marigold

powerspade

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 14:40:32 »
no matter what variety this problem is very common this year It the loosey weather we had

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 21:40:56 »
Maggie did saute tonight, a disaster!!!  Ended up with a Big oily, floury splodge!! Still tasted good though! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 09:37:52 »
Fortunately for me, I prefer floury anyway, so you won't find me grumbling ...

Derekthefox :D

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 11:07:00 »
Sloppy spuds are a pain in the arse to boil, but definately the best for roasties.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 21:12:42 »
Roasting and baking are all we ever do with spuds, and they've been really nice this year.

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 22:40:37 »
You should NEVER boil potatoes!!! Use microwave, roast or steam. That way you save nutrients, time, and get the real taste of tatties. Try microwave and you will never go back to boiling!!
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 22:44:37 »
Instructions please!! LOL! Love cooking, but it doesn't like me.....have nuked bakers, but never tried nuking for mash. Peel, shove in and hope?
Lottie  ;D

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 07:03:43 »
would the mush when well drained go well with butter and a little onion. Got to agree with the microwave idea hope I dont glow in the dark in 20 years!!!! ???
Chris Pea

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 12:57:55 »
Oh yes and even a little grated cheese mmmm!
Marigold

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 23:24:06 »
MICROWAVE TATTIES
Simplicity itself! Wash tatties, cut into similar sized (egg) pieces, put into covered microwave container and microwave for about 8 mins. This time for about three servings. Check if they are cooked. if not , try another minute or two. Serve as they are or mash.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 10:06:19 »
I found Valor to be good.
Also, with cooking floury ones, I sometimes get the grater out, grate a load, microwave in covered container, mix with grated cheese and breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, and use to top things like fish pie. I usually do a lot and freeze portions for future use as I hate cleaning the grater.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2005, 08:29:27 »
I found Valor to be good.
Also, with cooking floury ones, I sometimes get the grater out, grate a load, microwave in covered container, mix with grated cheese and breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, and use to top things like fish pie. I usually do a lot and freeze portions for future use as I hate cleaning the grater.

Heh. I have an argument with the grater every time I use it. Have scars on knuckles from catching them.  I actually once bought a food processor to grate cheese... now have less cackhanded hubby who won't let me near the grater. Oddly he's the left-hander... ;D

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 19:19:10 »
Just like the left-handed slingers of Benjamin in the Old Testament who could hit a hair. Nothing wrong with being sinister!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal