Author Topic: gold fish  (Read 1946 times)

nitiram

• Half Acre
  • Living in N.E Lincolnshire but from Ripley,Derbys.
    • 'The Musings of a Senile Delinquent'
gold fish
« on: November 05, 2005, 08:19:44 »
I recently read  Bob Flowerdew saying  that he successfully kept goldfish in his water butts to keep the midges down and the water clear...but he didn't say how I go about it. I realise that it is a bit too chilly to plonk goldfish in my waterbutts now but for next year would like to try. But will i need to feed them or will there be enough natural food for them to eat?? Has any one tried this or know where i can get more info or has any one got Mr floweredew's address?
"Chi mangia bene, mangia Italiano. ~ Those who eat well, eat Italian."

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: gold fish
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 13:09:10 »
We had experience of having to place a fish in the water butt but it didn't survive, it was larger than most and the
it was put there in an emergency. so we wouldn't recommend unless the water was refreshed and filtered. Do you use
Franchi seeds of Italy for your lotty?
Markfield Rover

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 13:43:14 »
Yes, use Franchi seeds, just placed another large order yesterday.  Why do you ask?

Will try and research more about the goldfish as am curious

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 20:16:39 »
I would imagine it would be a bit dark for them unless you have a clear water butt? or an open topped one at a push?! also not to pleasant without any filtration system.

I am not sure I would give it a go if it was me, seems a little cruel to the goldfish in my (probably totally wrong but entitled to it anyway) opinon! variable water levels, crashing of water when it rains, get stuck in tap potentially?!?

Let us know what you find out?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 20:21:30 by daisymay »

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 21:30:22 »
why  ? because of quote  !   we  had great results  from  fagiolo nano   anellino di trento   brilliant dwarf bean  which i last sowed 5 weeks ago  and cropping heavy now  the best bean we had this year ! a  must for 2006 !I am looking forward to trying carciofo violetto precoce  artichoke plenty of  seed if you would like some ? (excuse typing I can,t )

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 21:50:39 »
I think it would beĀ  a very miserable existence for a fish to be dumped into a water butt,with no light,filtration or even room to swim properly.just so you can keep insect life at bay.No,that is not kind at all.Fish need a decent depth and width to swim about as all fish were meant to do,plant life to shelter from and nibble at.Also,company of their own kind,and enough oxygen,decent food and clean pleasant water to swim through,not languishing in their own waste and stagnant water.

Does that put a different slant on it now? Anyway,there is another point.You yourself would miss out on the pleasure and relaxation provided by a beautiful and well planted pond.Please think again.

If you look up the section on ponds you will get lots of advice and help on there about ponds for both fish and amphibians.
Margaret

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 21:59:22 »
I think you'll find that fish prefer to be in darkness & if the water is cycling through the water butt at a reasonable rate, ie. rain in, water out, they will be quite happy. I would put 2 small fish in each one though as they like to shoal together

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 17:10:01 »
Was thinking of just two goldfish in an open top watre butt, no lid. I too thought that the rerain water would aereate the water...had thought of the pond as i have a  small pond on the lottie but thought that the foxes or the cats would eat them pretty quickly. I too have thought about the cruelty aspect...am a vegetarian  and wouldn't put a gold fish in a tank at home but was curious by Mt Flowerdew's comment.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 22:01:50 »
I had an algal bloom in my water butt one year, which was followed by a plague of mosquitoes. I got rid of them by covering the butt. Simple, and no need for the fish.

nitiram

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 05:48:50 »
My question about gold fish in the water butt seems to have generated quite a bit of hostility.... it was Bob Floweredew's suggestion and I was just curious about it as it was a new one on me.

I already  keep all my water butts covered so they stay nice and clear...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal