Author Topic: Environmesh - or the others.  (Read 1813 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Environmesh - or the others.
« on: November 02, 2005, 10:06:26 »
We talked about mesh the other day & concluded that Kay's was good value.

I warned about the different guages = different cost. Thought that Kay's would be open guage, especially as they do NOT say that it excludes flea beetle or carrot fly.

Got a sample, & find that the mesh is about 1/3 the size of standard Environmesh. So we'll definitely give it a whirl next year!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Environmesh - or the others.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 13:13:48 »
Oooh that sounds useful.

Watch out though - fellow plotholder ordered a load of stuff from Kays and had been nagging them for weeks to send it. When it did arrive, one of the items was missing and they'd given her way too much of something else.

However the something else was more expensive so she's not complaining!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Environmesh - or the others.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 14:14:15 »
I think I;m giving the enviromesh a go in favour of the fleece which blew away  :)

I got some enviromesh a few years ago, forgot about it for a season (which at least lessened the shock of the cost!) and then used it last year to cover a fixed carrot frame which got trashed by the vandals last Christmas.

Rescued the mesh, a bit pulled in places where they'd stood on it which meant holes large enough for a carrot fly to get through. Didn't break though - it's very strong! Solved holes by doubling it up and using it as the cover for a Geoff Hamilton water pipe cloche over the carrots.  V Pleased! No carrot fly!

I am tempted to get more of it so I can do it single-layer again and grow more carrots :) though if Tim's discovery is cheaper and finer I may look into that instead.

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal