Author Topic: Gliding over the ice ...  (Read 979 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Gliding over the ice ...
« on: October 30, 2005, 12:07:39 »
Well I have done it now - my first ice-skating lesson!

I was petrified when I went on the ice - I couldn't move ! My daughter slowly accompanied me across the ice to where the beginners were - apparently I should have entered at the other end of the rink ...

So what did I learn? Firstly, that the ice is very very hard ... which I found out several times as I took a tumble ...

Basics first, getting up from off the ice, then walking, and finally pushing off from an inside edge. The group had 4 adults amongst several young children, so they created a mini-group just for us, then when we were comfortable, handed us over to the instructor on group two. I was surprised that I was not the worst (not the best either ! ! ! ). I spent a total of just over an hour on the ice, by which time I was exhausted, and very sore on my left hip from about 6 or 7 falls. I know how to fall from my martial arts training, ukemi waza it is called in japanese, breakfall technique, but falling on ice still leaves big bruises. That is definitely something to practice ...

So having already admitted I am a wimp, I have decided that I will not be digging today (it is bucketing down with rain anyway), and I think the run might not happen today either, since I can barely walk now.

Still, my daughter was highly amused, although I think secretly she is impressed that her Dad is game ...

I will be seeking to buy a pair of skates now ... this is going to be a regular Sunday morning activity. Genuinely good fun!

Derekthefox  :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Gliding over the ice ...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 12:17:55 »
Well done!

Until the climate changed - we had an old gentleman in top hat & wooden skates on the local pond - just like 'the painting'.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Gliding over the ice ...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 17:19:04 »
That takes me back Tim, to the year our school lake froze over. They did test drillings, then announced the lake was safe. I had never seen anyone actually skate before, I thought it was amazing, as I floundered around with all my mates...

Derekthefox :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal