Author Topic: Hippo Bags  (Read 1636 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Hippo Bags
« on: October 17, 2005, 21:52:48 »
Not sure where to put this but the shed seems a good place so here goes.

Firstly has anyone heard of 'Hippo Bags'? If not these are big bags you can buy and then fill with waste then phone up and get it collected for a fee. Good if you dont want or cant afford a skip.

Secondly, if you know about them, have you used them and how did you get on with the service. I am considering using them as i always seem to be accumulating rubble in my garden (i have shallow soil over chalk bedrock), and am frequently making trips to the local tip with bags of rubble in the car.

Hippo Bags seem a good alternative, since I never have enough waste from any particular project to fill a skip, but its usualy too much to have hanging around the garden.

I'd be interested to hear your comments on this

http://www.hippowaste.co.uk/

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Hippo Bags
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 21:56:25 »
I use the bags as raised beds  :-X
I came, I saw, I composted

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 22:12:36 »
I use the bags as raised bedsĀ  :-X

I suppose thats one way to use them!!

I already have a couple of similar builders merchant bags I use for storing things like spare soil, old turves etc. I Dont expect they'd take those instead of or as well as one of their own! ::)

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 22:17:06 »
I'll be watching this closely as it seems a great idea, and we are on a tiny lane with no roomfor a skip (and the garden is raised 10' above the road).

Mind you in Cornwall they are a bit behind the times. :-\

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 22:30:26 »
They don't have that service near me and we have to drive miles to the nearest dump.  Having mini skips is really exensive and still too big for many folks so the bags idea is a good one but it's not happening round our way in North Derbys but like Deeds we are behind the times :(
I came, I saw, I composted

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 10:32:45 »
So, got the bag  a week ago from Focus. No chance to fill during the week, but spent most of yesterday morning filling the bag. Now got a full 'Hippo' parked at the end of the drive awaiting collection.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal