Author Topic: Moving Plots  (Read 6177 times)

chriszog

• Half Acre
Moving Plots
« on: October 29, 2005, 18:19:10 »
Hi
   I am in the process of moving plots. I didnt realise the ammount of work involved in lifting everything etc. My car looks like a skip and is full of mud and spiders from all the stuff moved out of the shed. Tomorrow it will be the shed itself, thats if it doesnt just disintigrate. Think very hard before you move it is very hard work, thats before all the digging and clearing of the new plot.
I'll keep you informed how things go.
Regards
Chriszog

TEL

• Hectare
Re: Moving Plots
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 07:06:35 »
Hi chriszog
It sounds a bad as moving house.
Good luck. ;D

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 17:14:56 »
Why are you moving? Closer to home / better security / better facilities?  Hope it's not because the site has been taken over.
Good luck anyway, I hope your new plot is productive. ;D

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 15:27:07 »
We moved plot this year.  Ended up leaving most things behind for the next owner, Shed, water butt, compost, Raspberries ( Autum Bliss still had fruit on, but roots snapped off when trying to dig them up)

Moved to have bigger plot, nearer home and had water.

Good luck with the move.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 17:28:49 »
I will be moving  in the winter.  We currently have a plot and a half that are separated.  A vacant full plot has become available next to the half plot (and it's slightly smaller) so we are shifting to there.  Any tips gratefully received.
Get with the beat Baggy

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 21:09:43 »
My tip: Rope some friends into helping by offering them beer! ;D

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 13:51:02 »
I'm moving to a more secure plot the old one was next to a public footpath and I suffered with a lot of theft and damage over the past 18 months. The new plot is in the middle of a much more secure area.
Any advice, get some help, my mate helped me move the shed which survived with a few cracks that were easily repaired. Re fixed the guttering in the rain on monday and moved the compsost bins monday P.M. I have still to move any plants Asparagus Raspberrys artichokes Rhubarb etc. Any advice re the moving of them would be much appreciated. The Rasps are only a year old and the Asparagus 2 years Old. I suppose that will be a further 2 year wait before any spears etc.
I will keep you updated and hope to post some pictures if anyones interested.
Regards
Chriszog

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 12:58:44 »
Obviously Not????

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 14:39:11 »
YES!! LOL! I'd be so daunted at the thought of moving, I think it would be realy useful to see pics as you go, hopefully I won't ever have to!! But still haven't heard back from council, so who knows??? Thought of diggin up the PT gives me nightmares...shudder to think...
Lottie 

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 17:00:56 »
Hi
   Not a good day today managed an hours digging in preperation for the asparagus when the heavens opened. Got soaked and sulked back home. Ended up painting the en-suite, theres never enough hours in a weekend?
Hopefull of some dry weather next week.
Chris

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 17:11:41 »
Well managed a couple of hours on plot, in gale force winds!! Still too much to do though, where I had dug and weeded is now sprouting weeds again!! ::) ::) ::) feel like I'm chasing my tail at the min!! Is now pouring with rain and am stuck in lounge with 4 children who are now mum baiting.....wait til I feed them.....gruel and slops... ;D
Lottie

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 20:02:24 »
Chriszog -sorry, didn't mean to seem uninterested!  Your opening mention of a boot full of spiders sent me shuddering on to another thread and I've only just got the courage to come back  ;D  As an arachnaphobe, all gardening is a bit daunting but the allotment can be downright terrorising!!  Hope everything is going smoothly - well, ish  ;D  And would love to see some pictures.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 19:05:40 »
Definitely like to be kept up to date with the move. :)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 20:12:54 »
Yep do post the piccies then I can see how I am doing  ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 21:36:06 »
Thanks for the support I have taken  some pics before I started and will take some this weekend and post then. The shed is still standing after the battering from the wind and the water butt already half full. Moved a few more edging planks from the old plot on the way home from work. Also spoke to the council today and I have until the end of november before they rent out the old plot ,so rain wind or shine I'll be out on Saturday.
Fingers crossed for the weather.
Regards
Chris

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2005, 18:50:28 »
Hi
A Beautiful day today and spent 6 hours on the plot.
Have taken a few pictures some in October and some today.
I finished the Asparagus bed and moved them today. The roots were huge and it took about 1 1/2 hours just to get the 10 plants out of the old bed. They are now in the new bed.
I am having trouble attaching the pics but if yoy go to
www.chriszog.smugmug.com you can view them on there.
Theres even pictures of the shed in its new home and newly constructed compost bins, can things get any more exciting???
Yes tomorrow Artichokes Rhubarb and if time Rasps.
Let me know what you think of the picture and Ill have to work out posting them.
Regards
Chris

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2005, 19:14:02 »
I'm impressed, you've worked really hard.  I want a path as straight as yours.  Mine looks as though it's been on the bottle. Hiccup!  :-[

What compost did you use for the asparagus.

Lily
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 20:35:26 »
Have had a look at the blog Chris and it is looking good.  I do not seem to have been up to my plot for about 10 days.  Today I was on a course - The Scouts were trying to teach me a about child protection and special educational needs  ??? and I do have the important Remembrance Day parade to attend tomorrow so this weekend is a bit of a lost lottie cause unfortunately.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2005, 21:50:29 »
Never mind redclanger plenty of time yet. I will be out again tomorrow. Old boy next to me said he never starts digging until after the first frost??
Regards
Chris

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2005, 19:59:26 »
That is an impressive transformation!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal