Author Topic: Wood mice  (Read 1938 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Wood mice
« on: October 28, 2005, 18:45:50 »
I disturbed two wood mice under some black plastic while I was digging this afternoon. They're nocturnal, yellow-brown rather than grey-brown like a house mouse, with a decided tendency to jump; they're a lot more agile than the house mouse, which I also get on the plot. Naturally they were gone far too quickly to get the camera out.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Re: Wood mice
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 18:53:31 »
They're off to find somewhere more peaceful!  ;D
Are they guilty of doing much damage on lotties, not that I could hurt one.
We only get house mice in the garden as they are all grey-brown.  I think we have a family under the shed as Merlin can often be found on mouse watch beside it.

MM
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 17:21:03 by Merlins Mum »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 23:19:28 »
They probably do similar damage to house mice.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 10:07:26 »
Oh so that's not so bad then, as I have never noticed much damage by the family under the shed, but then I don't grow veggies in the garden and so far, thank god, they haven't got into the house.  Well except for the one that Merlin brought in for me  ::)

MM

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 11:13:14 »
They don't seem to doa lot of harm apart from eating peas, but I'm wary of them due to a reputation for damaging beehives. I put this down to a poor design which allows all sorts to get into a traditional hive entrance. They certainly don't get into mine!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 15:57:53 »
I have a nest of wood mice in the ivy under the Forsythia.  They regularly climb up the Forsythia and nibble on the peanuts in the bird feeder.  I find it comical and cute - the cats on the otherhand are not at all impressed!   ;D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 17:26:21 »
You tell those lovely cats of yours Georgie that if they could get to the bird feeder they wouldn't want the nuts   ;D ;D

Do you keep your hives on the lottie Robert.
I would love to keep bees but don't think I would be very good at looking after them, think I might freak out when they started to crawl over me. ???

MM

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 19:19:15 »
If you don't like the idea of bees crawling over you, just cover up, which is what any sensible person does round bees anyway. If you wear gloves (thin rubber ones are best) and a veil, they won't be crawling over skin. Bees can be intimidating at times, but if you started with nice tempered ones (and nobody in their right mind keeps any other sort) and hot a nucleus (ie small colony) you'd be fine. I was pretty nervous when I started, but you soon get used to them.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 19:25:16 »
LOL MM, it's not the peanuts that they are interested in.   ;D   How's Merlin, ready for is holiday in sunny London yet?   ;)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 20:33:03 »
Thanks Robert, perhaps one day I'll find the courage but I would like to keep them in the garden and I know that isn't always possible.  Is it best to join a bee society or something?  So you can meet like minded people and maybe get a little experience

Georgie, if I'd told him that you have Forsythia climbing mice he'd probably be packing his suitcase right now  ;D  so I'm not going to tell him.  We've just been having a cuddle but now he's gone out to check on his mice ::)

MM

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 09:54:29 »
I've PM'd you a contact for the Oxfordshire beekeepers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal