Author Topic: Help - What do I do with flowering geraniiums from 'summer pots'?  (Read 4790 times)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Sorry if I'm repeating a topic that's already about somewhere!!....I've had a quick look but can't quite see one relating to my particular query.

I've had some wonderful tubs & hanging baskets on my tiny patio and adjacent trellis fencing.....cheated this year and bought them 'ready done' as this is the first year in my 'new flat'with 'little garden'.....today I've been re-doing said pots & baskets with their 'winter varieties....however - lots of the summer stuff was still looking reasonably good but have been 'strong willed' and discarded all but.....half a dozen or more still fantastic looking geraniums (maybe pelagoniums - not sure of the difference  ???) I've taken them from their  'summer beds' and at the moment laid them out on newspaper on patio.....some still have lovely flower heads on them & more buds about to break!!....

now I'm just not able to bring them into my flat - have obviously left it too late to take cuttings (well I guess I have but not sure how to anyway  :( ) but have heard that......you can put geraniums/and or peli's in a paper bag and hang in a shed or greenhouse!!...

Is this correct please and would you advise it....if not - is there any alternative other than to 'bin or compost them'?

Would appreciate your advice please - H.P.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Help - What do I do with flowering geraniiums from 'summer pots'?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 17:50:13 »
Hi HP :D   
Mine go in my unheated greenhouse for the winter, then they reshoot come spring...........if they don't all die from mildew, as my g'house seems susceptible! ;D   One lady I work for does as FB's Mum does, puts them in pots against the house, the only difference is we cover hers with fleece, they are now on their 3rd year.
Worth a go, you have nought to loose if you were going to bin them anyway. ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 18:31:31 »
I live in the North east and have hardy ivy leaf geraniums which are in hanging pots against a south facing brick wall.

They have survived untouched for the past 3 years.

I also collect the seeds... just in case.

Debs

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 18:43:24 »
Same here! Leave mine in pots right next to house wall, they're fine and dandy, and a couple of years old now.
Lottie  ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 19:00:25 »
You can eat geranium leaves can't you?!.........another veg for the family to suffer in eeking out a few salads ;D
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 19:21:15 »
Let us know, Icy........have no idea!! Daren't start experimenting, or will never get them to eat another salad!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 20:04:45 »
thanks everyone for suggestions & experiences....do you think it would be ok if I put the lot (I've got 8 plants) into one big bucket/pot in compost and put in an unheated greenhouse that we have on this development (for communal use but no-one uses it)....they would be ok then? I might be lucky & find some survive. I could always put a big paper sack type thing over them in very cold weather (if we get what they keep telling us we're going to get!!)

just one thing....is there an obvious (visual) difference between geraniums & pelagoniums (sp)

U.C. I know you can eat certain types of geranium leaves - the scented ones used in ice creams & other desserts but not so sure about all varieties....might be a bit risky!!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 20:42:43 »
Hi everyone. Found this post very interesting to me. I overwinter my geraniums/pelargonians (don't know the difference) in a heated greenhouse which I keep at 40f.  Am I wasting electric and would they survive in an unheated greenhouse?? What about the cuttings I have taken? Glad of advice.   Lorna.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 21:07:34 »
Hey Lorna!
Geraniums are the hardy plants out in garden all year. Pelagoniums are what you think of as geraniums....clear as mud eh? Tim? Robert? Eric? Where are you?!?!??! Anyway, geraniums no prob, pelagoniums are supposed to need winter protection, but don't think it necessary for larger plants. As for cuttings.....No idea!! Sorry Lorna!!
Lottie  ;D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 00:18:20 »
Pelargoniums and ivy geraniums will probably die outside in a "normal" winter as they can take very little frost - I killed some by forgetting to bring them in on a frosty night.
The last seven or so winters have been unusually mild, which explains why so many things have survived winter unscathed (including bugs  >:(). However, I think geraniums'/pelargoniums' greatest enemy is moisture combined with cold, which is why your greenhouse is a good idea, HP - they have a much better chance of survival if they are dry and protected from the worst of the weather.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 12:01:22 »
OK, top one is a hardy geranium, bottom is a pelgonium
 ;D ;D ;D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 12:07:08 »
Oh bugger - the one I am baby sitting is a pelgonium after all!

The label says geranium though  ???

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 18:19:29 »
Right... So I have got all of the bottom ones plus ivy leaf geraniums so better keep them all in the greenhouse as usual, BUT as previously asked anybody know if I do need heated greenhouse. Mind you the electric heater I have is very economical.. Thanks Kate ..... Lorna.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 18:23:42 »
Think it all depends on how the winter is Lorna! If it's mild, think they'd be fine in unheated greenhouse, but be ready with heater if the temperature plummets!! Daiymay, think they're often mislabelled!! Good luck!
Lottie  ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 18:33:08 »
Last year I put all mine in a covered passage down the side of the house. 

Didn't loose any.

However they say this year promisses to be very cold so may have to put a 'door' at the end of the passage to stop the wind!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 22:01:04 »
thanks everyone for advice & pics so far but.....need to know now if....

I need to trim/shorten the rather long, leggy plants that some of them are - some are much shorter - some are still flowering....if I'm to put them in greenhouse. These plants are now out of the pots and lying 'bare' on newspaper out on my patio table til I'm sure what to do with them (not had any time today anyway)....

Tomorrow tho - I can put all of them into pots (when I've bought more) of compost if that's the thing to do & transfer to greenhouse.....

I don't have to put each one in a seperate pot do I??....I hope answer is 'no' as I've no more pots!! (at the moment)

H.P.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2005, 17:51:19 »
FB.....these were originally in either tubs or hanging baskets (along with a lot of other summer bedding plants) but I had to remove them to 'plant up the new winter stuff.....

will do as you say tho and 'trim & tidy them' up a bit then put them loosely into a much bigger pot or two (or would a large cardboard box do?) in some potting compost and leave on a shelf in the small unheated greenhouse here....

I suppose if it gets really cold, I could lay newspaper over them or even wrap bubble wrap around them?

thanks everyone for your comments  ;)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 18:46:13 »
The compost you put them in should be slightly damp at first (you're not trying to dry them out like a bulb) so you may end up with a soggy cardboard box if you're not careful.  ;D Any container will do, though.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 20:18:03 »
thanks R.M......didn't have time today to go and buy any new containers - will 'hunt' for something tomorrow somewhere!!

I hope this will be the last question - altho I can't be certain  ;)......once in the pots in the greenhouse - will I continue to water it/them occasionally throughout the winter months?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 20:46:36 »
I'd water them when really dry. You don't want then to rot.
Lottie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal