Author Topic: Newbie & Peppers  (Read 1586 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Newbie & Peppers
« on: October 24, 2005, 18:35:59 »
Hi all - very new to gardening and would like to try and grow peppers, chillis and/or aubergines next year.  I have a heated conservatory - although north facing! - will I be able to get them going in there and when would be the best time? 

I am also looking into the poss of a small plot in our village at the moment although nothing is certain but I don't want to loose my new-found enthusiasm over the winter months - anything else I can be doing apart from planning and ordering seeds?!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Newbie & Peppers
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 18:49:57 »
I've grown chillies from seed very successfully on a window sill and grown them on the yard outside.  My friend and I grew our plants from the same seed and she grew hers on in the greenhouse and me on the yard.  Mine got loads of fruits on before hers which we could only put down to her plants not being visited by as many pollinators as mine.  She moved them  outside and they did fine after that  :)  I'm not sure when to start them (check on the back of the packet) but it's probably from Feb to April  :) If you don't know if you've got a plot or not you can't really plan for it.  You could always plan for the usual such as tomatoes, courgettes etc (patio plants) which you can grow whether or not you get a plot.  Herbs also.  You could sow some winter lettuce now  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 19:16:49 »
Thanks Wardy.  I'm picking up lots of tips browsing these boards and the photos of other people's lotties are very inspiring - I'm onto the Parish Council first thing in the morning!   :)

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 19:25:32 »
Hi Amanda - welcome and good luck with the council.  Keep us posted.  Btw - is that your cat? Soooo gorgeous!

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 19:38:44 »
Thanks Ellkebe.  No - I do have two cats but that is not one of them - I just thought he looked so grumpy and funny with his melon hat!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 21:23:37 »
Don't take councils word for it on lotties as they usually don't have a clue so go and look for yourself  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal