Author Topic: Mad or WOT  (Read 4593 times)

Ozzy_aka_Pothead

Mad or WOT
« on: September 12, 2003, 02:13:35 »
Yo Peeps

Nearly jacked in me lottie today, got really piste off wiv all the clearing/digging and weeding, after about an hour I'd had enough and was gonnacall it a day, then I decided to take a walk around the alotments, I spent ages just looking at what peeps had achieved on their plots and felt the buzz again you get from just growing and I was back again filled with the meaning of it all, out there wiv the plantlife, even said hello to sum leeks that had gone to seed...

Then back to my plot and saw it as it will be, remebering the joy I got from my garden, remembering how I felt when I had to clear my gardy.... okay I HATE all the backbreaking work, but next year it will be easier and the next easier and the nexteven easier, and the next even even easier (I could go on forever)  where am I?

Yeah... no soz lost it again?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm?  Well I think I know wot I iz on about, and thatiz that I nearly jacked (spellchecker) me lottie in, but
now.............. I'm not

babble alert

cHeErS

oZzY %)

;) :) ;) :) (thats winky, smiley, winky, smiley that iz)
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Mad or WOT
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 02:24:13 »
Not mad, we had a family allotment and never ever won the battle against the brambles and couch... cooch... grass.  Every visit was spent weeding and digging, we never ever got on top of it so, after 5 years of trying, we gave it up.  Glad to say my new Essex plot is great, nettles being the only problem, and they are easy enough to clear...and I am getting used to the itchy tingling on my hands arms and legs.  To lift our spirits, we wandered around our site to see what everyone was up to, and altho it isn't the most populated and used site, it is great to see what people grow, one plot half covered in gala melon all ripening in the sun!  ;D yum! ;D

Suze_O

• I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 02:27:38 »
Yo Ozzy

Keep on digging!  I just got back from way north of Manchester - Accrington (eh! Stanley put that whippet down lad!)

And going on the train saw so many lotties carefully tended and some also put to loads of flowers (dahlias in particular - I guess they are for horti shows) and also in Cheshire coming back, can't now remember name of place, wonderful lotties.

It is a bit like me, at the mo clearing part of garden which is brambles, bindweed, docks, etc., and sometimes I am tempted just to jack it all in, just tooo much hard graft ..... but then look at wot I dun last year and all lovely beans, etc., and ...... you'll get there  ;)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 02:33:33 »
Hey Oz!

Just knew I was up for a purpose, when a Lady(note the capital L there???!!) of my age with my physiog needs all the beauty sleep she can get...but...

What have we always said over on the Beeb Lotties Board? Now sit up - bad back allowing - and pay attention...

You clear sections and plant...don't try to clear it all at once cos...guess what! you'll get disheartened! You've got to take on board the psychology of the thing..shouldn't be too difficult for you ???  Then the theory is that you can look at what you've done and see things growing (even quietly underground-like) and this gives you the encouragement for the next tranche? - 'Lishka

Suze_O

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 03:07:37 »
Oggi Oggi Oz

Sometimes I hate my job also surrounded by red tape from Defra and Tony Bliar, but, we can rise above it and remember there are more important things, like .....

Loads more important things as you and I know.  Think I need to zig 'n zag a bit now also, stay koooool.  

Going to have some ol' chard and onions as we ol' thunderbirders say  :D

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 19:16:02 »
hey oz, hope you're feeling better. its nearly the weekend anyway  ;D

think how good it'll be with your bean and corn screen, sat in the middle of your plot next year..... that should be enough to keep you going....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 20:54:05 »
tut....you see what happens when I spend too much time gardening and surfing and not enough time sleeping....I only give you half the story!   :-[
I meant to say that we didn't give our family plot enough time - we were only able to visit it once a week, and the weeds were so strong that even in that short time they were able to creep back!  Also, we wanted the whole plot to be done, but we have learnt through experience, little and often, and work on one area, get it sorted and planted...if it is that time of year...then onto the next bit.  As everyone says, it will so be worth it this time next year when you are knee deep in fruit & veggies, enjoying the fruits of your labour!  ;D

Ragged Robin

• Acre
  • Slugs and snails .....be afraid.... be very afraid
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2003, 01:18:15 »
I'm going to reeeelly upset some people here  but one of my fav  jobs is diggin' over my veggie plot and pulling out the bind-weed roots - the same satisfaction as squeezing spots!!!!! :o
Happy gardening, Robin x

Suze_O

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 01:23:09 »
On a scale of 1 to 10 squeezing spots is more pleasurable - they won't necessarily come back but the b****y bind weed will !!

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 12:26:58 »
Hey Oz
Remember the plan - set small and achievable targets and when it all gets too much - go for a pint!

Who gives a st**f if you don't get your plot in order for years - I've had mine for ages and there is still room for improvement.  You do it cos it gives you pleasure - if it becomes a chore, something isn't working!  Time to step back and chill out for a while ....   ;)

Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2003, 14:00:37 »
Hey, Oz. I know the feeling well. Everybody else's garden/lottie /whatever looks great and yours is a mess. Been there done that. ripped the T shirt. Our garden was just under an acre of 12 feet high nettles. brambles, thistles etc 8 years ago next month. We have removed something like 30 tons or rubbish and there are still parts where one cannot dig without bringing up unmentionable detritus. The veg patch had to go in the only part of the garden where we did not find discarded batteries (by the hundred ranging from pre-first war to modern torch)(heavy metal content unknown). When I let of steam on the Beeb board you should have seen the flak I got for saying I hated that sort of gardening. BUT as Alishka, who has seen the photo, may tell you the place does not look so bad. And yes we still have brambles, bindweed, ground elder, nettles, thistles and goosegrass and others, but who cares. You won't, believe me. And the taste of the produce mmmmmmmm............Katy apples oooooooooooh. Woops food imput needed.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2003, 20:40:29 »
Down your way next Sunday, en route to Swansea with youngest daughter. A483 all the way. Harder than digging.

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2003, 22:29:58 »
When I reached my plot this morning, the Horse Manure had not been delivered, so what to do?   I picked some runner beans, enough for about four people for a meal each.

That's a point - are runner beans cunning?   I can spend some time picking them, think I've finished, and then half an hour later, find another 5 or 6 hiding in the foliage.   The another half hour later, I find another one or two so long I should have pulled them a few days ago.   Do they wait until I've been round, then when I've gone, grow?

Anyway, still no Manure, so digging fork and weed collection box out, and the emptied onion plot, compacted earth and big weed growth.   Temperature about 34 deg C, I was soon dripping sweat from my brow.   Did about 1 sq metre, and thought of Ozzy.   Had a cup of coffee, and dug some more.   Then I thought of increasing weight problem, and decided that digging weeds was a cheaper way to reduce weight than going to the gym.

Had enough digging, take it in easy stages - but no back ache - not enough done to make it hurt.   Still no manure, so decided to cut grass using shears.   Nearly time to clean up and go home for lunch, and Manure arrives.

"Hiya Pauline, do you like runner beans"   "Yes please" she says, thank God.   Fair swop, but will have to shift Manure into the Box tomorrow, as Grand Prix at Monsa starts at 1pm.  

So I clean up, change my shoes, lock up my plot, and Annie and I make our way to the BIG GATES at the far end, which we close, then ahve to re-open because Pauline has arrived with a second load of Manure for me.

Moral?   Make plans, remain flexible, and enjoy the variety that life offers.  ' Cause when your dead, your dead for an 'ell of a long time.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2003, 02:04:33 »
What's with all this macho digging, then ??? Masochistic digging, more like..

Was out before 9 this morning clearing up my veg. plots..tomato plants, runner beans, borlotti, carrots, courgettes & salad stuff all now history..(swiss chard is still going strong, tho), and then I decided to dig. And it was hard. So then I decided to not dig (at least not until we've had at least a week of rain), so knocked a few apples off the tree and sat, and munched, deciding what was going to go where next year and where I want my muck-man (whose name's not Pauline, or even Paul) to spread the stuff when he delivers next month. Oh! and then I found some late strawberries, so ate them too.

Had actually intended today to go into Birmingham & walk round the newly opened Bullring complex & take some photos, but pleased I had a brill day in the garden instead.  ;D 'Lishka

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2003, 22:53:45 »
Hiya Lishka.   Stopped smoking 18months ago, as a result of which I gained an appetite for food beautifully cooked by my good wife.   So, five days per week my lunch is fruit and a packet of crisps (!), and some physical work to burn off the calories.

Some time ago, you advised me that Horse Manure should be allowed to rot for about 2 years before using it.   So I built three big boxes, two 2m square, and one 2m by 1.5m into which I load Horse Manure to mature.   I've emptied Box 1 into two plots by trench manuring.   Box 2 will be ready next year sometime, and I've just filled Box 3.    Thank you for your advice.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2003, 03:22:26 »
NOT at all sure I want to say this - but there is one thing worse than digging and clearing getting you down!

And (beware, this is a warning sign of incipient somethng or other), it's 2-3 years down the road --------- and realising you MISS the digging and clearing.  Then you start doing TRULY daft things, like taking on more land!

All best - Gavin :) :) :) :)            ???

Beer_Belly

• Acre
  • English bloke in Holland
    • ToadRunners Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2003, 10:19:42 »
On the 25th of November it'll be a year since I smoked (and I smoked for 17 years) - I know what you mean about the taste thing. I've still got "morning cough" I wonder how long that takes to shift

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2003, 22:22:42 »
Smoking gave me up about 12 years ago, but it would only take one pipeful to start it off again I am sure. Now digging I could give up any time. If you want some digging, then I will lend you a piece of land for an afternoon and you can dig to your hearts content. You can weven keep all the glass, metal, and such like that you find as a memento. Mind agree about the apples and the later strawberries. Gorgeous sunset at the moment as well.

Suze_O

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2003, 04:03:04 »
Yo Oz

Everything you liked about baccy but were afraid to ask.

Well, leaving aside the contraband (which is great) you know the answers I think.  Unless you get a pipe!!

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2003, 23:25:57 »
Hi Ozzy - I reckoned I was spending about £2,000 per year on cigarettes.   Over a ten year period, that's £20,000.   Over 40 years, that's £80,000 - except that cigs were not so expensive as they are today - but whoa - yes they were when I only got paid £3.00 per week  in 1957.

Then I was having breathing difficulties - I was like some of these people on the telly where a caption comes up to say the person shown died 10 weeks later.   I was visiting my Doctor about something else, and on the off chance asked him about the anti-smoking clinic.   My wife Arlene, and I, went on to a programme run by a Clinic Sister, and we used "Zyban".   Luckily I had the allotment to give me things to do with my hands, and there were lots to do as I had taken it over only the month before.   I'm afraid I am now addicted to mint imperials!!

Like Eric I still have a "smoker's" cough when I wake up, but I find it helpful when sitting...........oops.   Either of us can have a sudden wish for a f*g, but it is only momentary, and I know, that if I had a cigarette I would feel sick after the first puff.

To get back to the digging.   Over the weekend, I only did about a square metre per day.   As time goes by, I find I can do more without too much pain.   I'm doing more than just digging - I'm searching out weeds complete with roots.   I feel it necessary to leave a bit to do tomorrow, which is why I'm taking my time.   So don't rush it Ozzy, just do a bit at a time and suddenly, it's all done, and you've got to find something else to do!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal