Produce > Edible Plants

Okra/Bhindi/Ladysfinger

(1/2) > >>

merv:
Hiya  :)

Grew it once in the greenhouse and whilst I had a crop it wasn't as prolific as I wanted it to be.  (lurve it in curry *slurp*)

Anyone got tips?

thanks

cleo:
Hi Merv

This is one that still eludes me,but I will not give up!!

In the  past I have tried in pots inside but next year they are going into the soil border on the sunniest side of the greenhouse.

Like you I can get a few but nothing worthwhile-the flowers are georgeous but that`s hardly the point is it?

Stephan.

merv:
Hi staphan.

It's a real downer. Maybe we are just not hot enough.  mind you last year I grew Cape Goosberries inn the green house and it was like a S American rain forest...they took over, instead of a new trowel for Christmas I got  a machete  ;)

john_miller:
Even in my climate with sustained nights at 15C+ in the summer Okra is a dud I'm afraid. Although we do get a crop the flavour is anaemic. It is in family Malvaceae but is more closely related to Hibiscus than the mallows native to the UK to give you some idea of it's cultural requirements.

merv:
Thanks John.

I don't think I'll bother then.  It's quite readily available. in season, in Asian shops.  So I'll stick to buying it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version