Author Topic: Citrus tree  (Read 1334 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Citrus tree
« on: October 23, 2005, 09:34:33 »
Hi - new here (to the site and gardening) - very tempted to go for an allotment in our village so was lurking on here reading all your great advice!

I'm posting this query here as I am pretty sure the problem below is an unedible plant problem!

I have a lemon plant in my conservatory.  I've had it for over a year and it is about 1.5 ft high with loads of green lemons and a few larger (tomato size) more yellow ones!  My problem is the branches don't look sturdy enough to take the weight if all the smaller fruit ripen - the branch with the largest fruit on is already bending downwards.  The tree is in a 7" pot.  Should I repot and if so when?  And will this bulk the tree out?  By the way the lemons are very round - not at all lemon shaped?

Any advice on this greatly received as I can't quite believe I have managed to keep this alive for over a year - let alone actually got fruit!  Many thanks
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Citrus tree
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 22:56:10 »
Don't re-pot until spring - if you do it now, you may lose the fruit.
Citrus branches are fairly thin, they do get stronger with age.
If you're worried, support your fruit-laden branches with something like a sturdy bamboo; the problem should decrease as the tree gets older.

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 11:06:31 »
Thanks for this - will hold on until Spring.   :)
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:06:11 »
I have 3 orange trees grown from seeds that I dodgily smuggled back in an orange from Morocco in 2003. Wonder if they will ever fruit?? Doubt it, but a great souvenier!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal