Author Topic: Spring Water  (Read 1798 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Spring Water
« on: September 25, 2003, 16:56:18 »
Do any of you know if the water boards can charge you for spring water? for use on lotties. :-/

Our lottie is on a farmers field and he allows them to pump the water from his spring/ bore hole. :D

Our site sec thinks he should advice the local water board of us using it for lotties and we will need to pay for it. :-/

I always thought they could not charge for the water only charge for supplying it in pipes and the removal of its use in pipes perhaps I am wrong. ::)

Any ideas gratefully received

Teresa
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Spring Water
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 17:40:15 »
hmmmm.....we do not have piped water on our lottie, we have a small stream fed by a spring which runs along one edge.  We help ourselves as we need it and pay nobody.  The site secretary told us that the reason our rent was so cheap was the fact that the water board weren't supplying water...... hmmmm...... :-/

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 02:15:22 »
Once upon a time, I used to do a lot of hill walking, and one weekend I (with friends) was in the Rinog (? spelling) valley which supports probably five/six families including farmers.  

We got talking to a resident in the evening, and he told us of an occasion when the local Water Board official visited each household in turn to advise them that they would now have to pay water rates.   Each householder in turn advised the official that they would refuse to pay and what was he going to do about it?   He said that he would arrange to have their supply cut off !!!   They said to go ahead, but he would have a big job.   They pointed to a gushing waterfall  coming off the mountain, and said that hewould have to stop that.   The official went away and they never heard another thing from the Water Board.

Does this story help???

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 02:45:07 »
thanks EJ and Colin,

Mum and Dad lived in wales on a smallholding ( ah the good old days). 8)

Their water was spring no mains water for miles, they too were aproched by the water board to pay the rates and all local farmers refused. ;)

So an officail came to each in turn and they all said the same:

The good Lord above supplies our water it falls from the heavens and into the springs why should we pay you when He provides. :D

So the officail left and no more was heard again. :P

The motto of this story is do not provoke the Lord and the Welsh on the same day. ;)

So this is why I do not understand the lottie sec.
For trying to pay for water that is not:
piped, treated or anything done with it. ???

Teresa

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 03:51:18 »
If the water is being pumped from a borehole, then it is very probable that the farmer needs an Extraction Licence.  Your lottie Secretary should check with the farmer if he has (or needs) one.  If he needs one and hasn`t got one and you approach the water board direct you may well drop the kindly farmer right in the mulligatawny soup.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 17:53:49 »
Yep then by by lotties.

The farmer gives the land and water free of charge at the christmas do at the local pub he is treated to dinner with his son as thanks. 8)

The sec was to put the rent us from 8.50 to 12.50 to buy some security fencing to put up round lotties but when I rang him he said 8.50 so perhaps the farmer said no. :-/

But this water thing is disturbing we might have a new sec soon? The spring/bore hole feeds a pool in the field which houses horses. the overflow from the pool runs across the dirt track I drive up to the lotties which has not dried up at all this summer even with us taking the water  which makes me think possible borehole? :-/

Teresa
Teresa

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal