Author Topic: Cleaning pond  (Read 1880 times)

lin

• Half Acre
Cleaning pond
« on: October 21, 2005, 21:45:48 »
The pond I have set up in the garden has always been very healthy, it's not huge, circular and about 3ft across and 2ft deep. I have three 7inch goldfish in there (about 3 years old) and healthy but crowded plants. I always have a huge amount of frogs too.

I feel it probably needs a good cleanout soon and was wondering when you all think is the best time to clear it out, I have done it once a few years ago, by emptying everything into containers, cleaning the sludge and dividing the plants but can't remember what time of year that was. I know the frogs will start to hibernate in the bottom soon, and spring everything is too active. So not sure...?? Any help?

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Cleaning pond
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 21:24:54 »
Hi Lin.The sooner the better actually.If you leave a lot of sludge and muck in the bottom,especially with frogs stirring it up it will foul up and lessen the oxygen in there for the fish.When it ices over,and we have been warned of a bad winter,it will cause poisonous gases to be given off and they will have no means of escape.Your pond is not very deep and this could kill both fish and frogs.You can cut down on the plants as they will grow again come the spring.It is not good to mix fish and frogs but i know it is hard to keep them apart! Poor old frogs have so few bodies of water to choose from ,they don't know you only want goldfish in there!

So long as you check every day and put pans of very hot water on the ice to keep an area free ,you should be ok,but the pond needs to be as clean as poss first.
Margaret

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 12:39:39 »
Margaret, what is the best way to clean out the bottom of a pond? My Mum's hasn't been done in years, neither has mine for that matter!! Without using one of those vacuums, what is the easiest way? Thanks DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 22:20:00 »
Hi Doris.No don't bother with those,waste of time and money.I just keep on top of mine and constantly net out any bits,sorting through weed and stuff that drops to the bottom and putting back the good bits.But now yours has been left it would be better to drain off some water and do a water change,or wait till the rain fills it up.Meanwhile just keep netting with a  fine fish net and don't worry if it stirs it up it will settle.Also take out the plants and repot,washing off the extra muck that always collects on the pots.replace the gravel also.Never do a complete clear out of a pond unless you have a parasite infection or something gets in the water that could poison the fish,as the complete change of mature water to tap water is very bad for the fish and the filtration side of it.
Margaret

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 20:45:32 »
Thanks for that Margaret, hopefully get some good weather this week to do it! ;D  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal