Author Topic: Cheap greenhouse staging  (Read 12160 times)

Catherine

• Not So New ...
Cheap greenhouse staging
« on: October 21, 2005, 20:59:57 »
Has anyone got any top tips on cheap greenhouse staging. I'm sure there must be an equivalent out there  made for an entirely different purpose that is cheaper than the purpose built jobbies. ???
Catherine

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: Cheap greenhouse staging
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 21:24:25 »
i use a plastic garden table. it needs a few holes in for drainage but i use the top for my seeds etc and underneath ahs a plastic box where i store all the seeds and fertilisers etc and the compost and pots.

Mac49

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 00:28:05 »
I use wallpaper pasting tables, you can get 3 in an 8x6 with plenty of room to
walk up the middle, just cover the tops with plastic, and put some under the legs
to stop them rotting in the damp.

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 11:33:20 »
 On one side of mine I use those aluminium 3 tier storage thingies and turn the top two shelves the 'wrong' way and fill with gravel for sitting plants on. The bottom shelf I store pots etc on. Cost about £10 each years ago from Focus.
On the other side is my potting station (made from an old pallet) and a 4 tier mini placcy greenhouse thing sans the cover and broke down into two units. That cost about £15 in a sale. Works ok for me  :)
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

Catherine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 18:22:38 »
Thank you for your replies, just realised theres a section all about greenhouses!!!!!!!! ::)
Catherine

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 16:42:42 »
We looked around for ages trying to find a viable cheaper alternative than the real mccoy but could not find anything that did the job as well.

The cheapest we could find was in B&Q, bought 2 x 4ft single tier aluminium framed sections for £29.99 each at the weekend.

Lottie3

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 22:34:59 »
I have two mini-greenhouses - was given one and one was in Aldis for £12.99. I have these as shelving in my greenhouse and  have left the covers on them for the winter which gives double insulation. Aldi are quite good for cheap netting etc.

It is outrageuos how expensive green house accesories are - come to that anything ready made like cloches etc.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 12:02:43 »
Hi Catherine,have you thought of looking in IKEA? That's what I will do if I ever get my shed. In the past I've noticed really cheap wooden shelves which would do the job. Can't wait to get a shed as we've chopped loads of trees down on my plot to get better light but now there's no shelter if it rains -sod's law!Let us know what you find.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 16:35:47 »
I made my own. Two firm wooden supports at top and bottom and a slding bar which I top with mesh when needed. At growing time I slide it away from the path and plant my tom's etc. Cost is a few bits of wood and a few screws.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 16:50:30 »
take back everything I said about the B&Q staging. It came at the weekend. Well 1/2 of it did anyway! one lot and 2 of the windows of the shed we ordered were missing.

It took us nearly 2 hours to build and is very shoddy - wish we had built our own now. Have rang B&Q four times trying to get back the missing bits but no joy

Grrrr  >:( >:(

not fluffy!

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 04:02:46 »
ok Catherine hold on to ya breches

4 sky hooks (should no where to tie the following on to)
6 bambo canes 6ft in length
1 bambo cane cut into lets say 12" (bought the length of a seed tray
6 length of good quality string/rope about 3mm in dia also extra length for tieing bambo canes togther

assemble 6 bambo canes  equally over the 12" (bought 4" between each) tie cross bambo canes equally over length) we now have a nice equal frame
tie string to each corner and one each side central and tie to greehouse roof
(use sky hooks if greenhouse roof isnt an option)!!!

Stop laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok so the sky hooks dont work the rest does the old man next to me erects his (thats the shelves plese !!!) every season until the seeds are well on there way i should poit out that he does have a nice wooden table underneath but creates another 1/3 of space again for getting stuff started !!!!!!

ok let the breches go and let construction commence

carl
another member of i forgot my password

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal