Author Topic: Viburnum davidii  (Read 3414 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Viburnum davidii
« on: October 13, 2005, 13:45:52 »
On the plant label  in the garden centre it said a male is needed to produce berries. I asked for a male plant and was told there is no way of knowing the difference ::) ::)so how do I get my plant to berry next year? I think I'm missing something here, I can't keep buying plants in the hope one of them will pollinate it.Any ideas?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Viburnum davidii
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 14:05:09 »
First of all, the berries are never really that plentiful. So, you do not need to buy a specifically male or female plant. What the label really should say is that you need two plants for cross pollination to get better berrying. However, some plants are predominantly male and some are predominantly female. To make matters worse some are mules. I suggest you buy one in berry to go with yours, at least that way you may get fruit on both.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 13:17:46 »
Thanks Eric, that makes sense, will other varieties of viburnum, like a tinus pollinate it?,I was told they would but I don't feel sure about it.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 15:18:24 »
In theory it is possible, but I would not rely on it happening.
Gardening is the great leveller.

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 13:41:51 »
Hi Val

I doubt if Tinus and Davidii will cross pollinate, Not sure if they flower at the same time. Davidii in spring and tinus in autumn if I'm not mistaken
Happy Gardening

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 16:51:04 »
 ;D well yes , Tinus is flowering now , but the Davidii has berries, the one I've bought that is but I doubt I'll get them next year. Oh well ,thats life. :(  Wills, its you, oh bless you, how are you ? its so good to see  your post,I miss our chats. Val.x
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 16:53:39 by Val »

William O

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 14:40:37 »
Hi Val,

Everything is OK, bit busy teaching day and night school at the moment, but very happy. The garden is progressing nicely and the birds have kept coming all year (suppose the continued feeding might have helped a bit)
I've got a couple of tinusses. The really are beautifull, flowering at the moment and carrying berries from last years flowering.
Happy Gardening

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 17:38:00 »
Hi Val,  could I ask how much you had to pay for your plant?  I bought a mystery plant a while ago for £2!!  Found out lots later what it was!!

Had the devil of a job to get mine identified, in the end had to bring in the big guns, local posh nursey, but wouldn't you know it, they don't sell them!!

I also have a concern about needing two plants, my garden isn't that big and doubling up on shrubs is not a clever idea!! 

Is your shrub scented? 

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 10:00:38 »
Hi Flowerlady, no the shrub isn't scented, but I don't know about the flowers yet, it does have lovely blue berries though, I was hopeing for them next year but it doesn't seem likely, unless someone else in the neighbourhood has one that will pollinate it. >:(I only bought it for the berries ::)It was about £5 or £6, can't remember the exact amount but if you got one for £2 that is a bargain.Pity we don't live near each other we could share the male.....plant that is. ;)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 10:08:26 »
Hi Wills, my Tinus are flowering well but I've no berries on them either, I think my garden must be all female, I even bought a holly a couple of years ago, female, thinking the holly tree I have is male but again no berries. In fact the only berries I do have are on the pyracantha and the new davidii but I can't take credit for that.I'm glad you've still got your birds around let me know if they nest next year, Frank has just made a robin nest box, but I don't know where to site it now ;DGood to hear work is going well and that you're enjoying it. take care.xxx

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 10:45:13 »
Hi Val,

If you now get yourself a known male holly you will get berries.  A definate male variety is 'Blue Prince', I have one of him, he's great if you just have a small garden as he only gets to 8ft high and 6ft wide if you don't prune him and can also be grown in a container.

If you do decide to buy a named male variety beware that some apparent males are infact female. Golden King is Female, Golden Queen is Male. No such confusions with 'Blue Prince' and 'Blue Princess'.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 15:53:17 »
Hi Twospot, I've got golden king, but was hoping the wild holly already in the garden was male, looks like I'm going to have to get a male, not that I mind but its space, so I'll get the blue prince. I love buying bushes the birds like, must be the nesting instinct in me. ;D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 16:57:55 »
Val, I think I'm going senile! 

I've just looked at the label on my shrub.  It's NOT davidii.  It's a henryi,  I knew something was wrong because the berries on my shrub are bright red!! :-[

It is without doubt a very pretty shrub in the spring :D

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 10:33:12 »
Hi Flowerlady I've just googled the Henryi, to see a pic, its not unlike the Davidii, except the berries are a different colour, but I think you have a real bargain there, it doesn't seem as common as the Davidii, so take some cuttings, especially if its scented.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 12:01:03 »
will do, and if they take you can have one, and then you will have two viburnums  ;D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 15:18:27 »
Oh bless you, thank you, we could do an exchange if you need anything.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal