Author Topic: Not sure  (Read 4550 times)

Dominique

• Not So New ...
Re: Not sure
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 10:57:58 »
Go for it Leigh, it's not just for 'older' people.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and if you don't you can always give it up.  I was 20 and just married when I started sowing radishes and lettuces in the flower borders of my (rented!) house.  The looks on the neighbours' faces alone were worth it LOL
Good luck. 
D
PS Wardy, go for it with your pond.  I have toads on my plot (2 ponds on the allotment next to me) and - so far, cross fingers - no slug damage even though all the other (more experienced!) gardeners laughed when they saw me sowing salads and flowers from seed...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 11:15:44 »
Dominique   At least on my plots no-one gives a hoot what you sow or plant as everyone is open minded, although they have been in a delegation to my plot to check out my no dig spuds and my builders rubble sack beds.  I was very nervous I can tell you.  Also a guy came on my plot and told me I ought to be digging it all.  It is HUGE.  Anyway my OH and I have left half of it as just mown weeds to make our "lawn" and it looks lovely and it's our leisure bit.  The guy came back with his wife a few months later, bought fish, chips n peas and cans of Stella and agreed we'd been right to leave it and what a lovely spot it was.   So don't be in a hurry to dig the lot over folks, if you've bags of room.  My pond will be going in soon if the rain abates any time soon  :)  At least the soil will be soft .  We're planting fruit trees and bushes on our lawned bit and will reclaim it for veggies if we ever get short of space on the other half of the plot  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Linda32

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2005, 13:21:20 »
Hope you get the lottie soon, Leigh  :) I'm very new to lotties but love it too bits.

Like you it was the price and quality of co-op veg that got me going.

I went to the co-op once and the whole lot was reduced, I mean just about everything. Which means it would have gone over within a day or two, I came out empty handed  ::)

Btw, if it makes you feel better, I've head an allotment called a green gym,  ;) a site cheaper than gym fee's  ;)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2005, 13:40:11 »
I was talking about your wife  ::)  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

leigh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2005, 14:20:19 »
Sorry redclanger. My mistake. Get post saying Miss and Mrs all the time!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 04:00:04 »
I woke up to pouring rain and the first thing to pop into my head was -oh no! I can't got to the lottie today.

... but just think how many seed tapes you can get made and stockpiled on a rainy day! ;D

hawhaw

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 08:38:50 »

I haven't got any seeds yet  :'( 

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 09:40:05 »
Seed accumulating is a fave pastime of plotties and you need to get yourself a great big tupperware box or similar to keep them in  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 14:07:30 »
... and then find lovely peeps to swop with ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal