Author Topic: cut and come again?  (Read 1585 times)

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
cut and come again?
« on: October 14, 2005, 12:49:08 »
Can all salad leaves be cut and come again?

3 days after cutting the outer leaves of my romaine lettuce it keeled over and died :'(

Can only certain lettuces be used like that or is there a certain way of cutting & coming again?

Sorry bout the silly question but I want to know if I did something wrong. :)
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
Re: cut and come again?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 13:00:41 »
Oops!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 13:32:08 »
Hmmm, well I have cut big lettuce and left the stump as I am rushing home or whatever, and by the next visit there will be a little crop of fresh new leaves which I can pick off after a couple of weeks.  Not quite the same as cut and come again, and not guarenteed as some do just give up the ghost.  Think it is luck rather than judgement!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 15:20:52 »
An added thought?

An answer, surely, is that you would normally grow a hearting lettuce or a loose leaf one. Any of the latter allow you to pick - rather than cut - leaves whenever you wish.  Like the Australian Yellow  & its friend below. And, of course, 'salad leaves' can, as said, be 'cut again' when young throughout the season.

You certainly can pull an outer leaf off an untidy Iceberg - I did it several times this year with Pablo. But it is not the norm.

The yellow thing got to 40" across!!

Sorry - wrong lettuce see the next one - but you see what I mean?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 15:31:59 by tim »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 21:09:46 »
I am doing cut and come again with my spinach, and it seems to be working fine. BUT it takes forever to cut off all de little leaves, I don't just cut across the plant. Maybe I should try this with half of them in case the cut ones do a Romaine on me! ::) ;D

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:58:01 »
The Romaine IS good tasting.

Is it worth cut and come again with the curly type lettuce?  Don't know it's name.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 09:02:44 »
With lettuce seed so pleniful, I sow a couple of sq yds and just cut early. As I clear a foot or so I sow again thus having a continuous supply of young leaves. I do the same in the greenhouse overwinter and generally keep mrs dj in leaves for her lunches all year.

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 10:03:10 »
With the cabbages I cut mine then cut a cross in the stump and hey presto as if by magic 4 little cabbages grow from the stump.
Regards

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal