Author Topic: sprouts  (Read 1788 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
sprouts
« on: October 17, 2005, 18:35:25 »
I am growing sprouts for the first time. The plants are about 18" high but the leaves are quite chewed and when I shake them, clouds of what I assume are cabbage whitefly appear.  How can I tell if they are likely to produce any sprouts, and can I do anything (either now or for future reference) about the flies?

undercarriage plan

Re: sprouts
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 18:46:59 »
Hey Caroline, no expert at all!! But my sprouts often have white fly, which so far have never done much damage. Your sprouts are probably being chewed by caterpillars, have you checked under the leaves? The sprouts form where the leaf joins the stem in the axil, you should be able to see little green swellings, but still time, don't frett!! Good luck. Lottie  ;D

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 20:07:04 »
talk about an attack of the caterpillars! :o
i have killed and maimed hundreds of them - where have they all come from of a sudden????? today, another twenty entered their last hunting grounds.....

the whitefly, on the other hand, dont seem to do much damage at all.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 22:18:06 »
Oh I have whitefly also...think you can dust with derris if you are that way inclined, or spray even.  As for where and when, as Wardy says, the little green golf balls appear at the leaf axils, and this year for the first time ever, mine have started within 3 inches of the ground, and they have all be a good size!  Now we are half way up and they are monsters!  I fear that if you have no sign at all of baby sproutlings yet, you may not get any, however, don't forget you can eat the top of the plant, the leafy green growing point.  Apparently, according to mum, that is my nans most fave veg!!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 12:35:26 »
Mmmmmm Brussel tops with mint sauce  :P
Get with the beat Baggy

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 22:15:02 »
Thanks- i think there are some little sproutlets so I'll keep my fingers crossed. And I never knew about eating the tops- something else to look forward to!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 22:41:17 »
My son's favourite veg are sprouts. Won't eat nice things like beans.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 21:28:24 »
Thanks- i think there are some little sproutlets

Awww, Caroline, how cute! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal