Author Topic: Bats!  (Read 2235 times)

undercarriage plan

Bats!
« on: October 19, 2005, 18:44:42 »
Does anyone out there no anything about bats!! We've been watching them fly around the garden, and the kids want to know what sort they are, argument now taking place, about whether they could possibley be vampire or not.... ::) ::) ::)  could be due to the fact that they're flying around the cemetery too, guess whose kids won't be sleeping well tonight  :-\...! Anyway, I'm in Suffolk, by the coast, if anyone has any ideas as to the type, please say!! Kids gettng louder and LOUDER!!!! Thank you   Lottie  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Bats!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 18:56:29 »
Try this link, they have quite a lot of info on bats:

http://www.first-nature.com/bats

and this one has pages for kids:

http://www.bats.org.uk/kids/index.asp

My lot love bats and spend a lot of time watching them in the summer - think it is just an excuse to stay up really though!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 19:16:14 »
Wonderful links, Tulippa, thank you!! Any ideas as to which species is the most likely for my area? Lottie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 19:28:05 »
90% of the bats you see in the UK are pipistrelles. Assume that's what they are until you find some evidence to the contrary! What size are they? Pipistrelles are small, but the larger bats are usually seen singly.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 19:43:10 »
They're small, Robert, not much bigger, if at all, to a mouse with wings, and loads of them! Flitting all over the place, lovely to watch. Thanks. Lottie  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 20:09:51 »
It sounds like pipistrelles to me too if they are small, ours are pipistrelles, they keep us well entertained flying round the garden.  I am hoping to find somewhere doing a bat evening next summer to go and learn a lot more about them, I missed it this year as we were on holiday at the time.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 21:19:27 »
Yup, agree whole heartedly!1 Think they're lovely, often found them at Parents farm, have held the odd one that's crashed, though how they crash with radar, bit of a mystery..... Is it too late for course in bats then? Lottie

Suru

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 08:10:03 »
Hi they definitely sound like pipistrelle  bats ,as we have them flying around our house every night.Our council houses are due for recladding and as there are bats in the area we had to have a Bat Survey before work can begin.So the real Batman visited and checked our rooves and under the eaves for signs of bat roosts.If they find any they have to be removed to a place of safety before work can begin on the houses,as they are a protected species.To encourage them you can plant night scented plants as they drink the nectar.So you can tell the kids they don't need to get the garlic and crosses out just yet!
                All the best Sue ;)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 09:49:35 »
Thanks Sue!! Have introduced Noris into the garden....Noris is gargoyle who keeps nasties away!!! Though wonderful backing onto cemetery, kids get bit anxious this time of year, there's a surprise!! Bats flying about, Owls in trees screeching and for some mad reason, council digging graves in evening, so full of spotlights!!! Enough to send anyone over the edge I think!! Hope all goes well with roof, do you think they're in our roof? Wondering where they're hangin out.....sorry...bad joke.....  :-\Lottie  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 13:22:46 »
I have bats and owls  :o   I grow scented plants to attract insects for them and switch on the outside lights.  Last night at dusk we had lots of bats and a bird of prey (either hawk or kestrel) flying among them.  Lovely to see  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 14:57:42 »
Have or had  ::) evening primrose, honeysuckle and night scented stock at top of garden, is that what they after? Thought it was insects? Lottie

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 15:05:49 »
No, it's not that they eat them, it's that the scented flowers attract the insects which the bats then feed on.  Putting lights on attracts the insects to the garden, they head for the scented plants where they get picked off by bats.

I came, I saw, I composted

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 18:20:29 »
Doh....OK! Thickness obviously not just in evening... seems to be increasing in duration...... ::) ;D Lottie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal