Author Topic: bonfire restrictions  (Read 4214 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
bonfire restrictions
« on: November 13, 2005, 23:14:19 »
Are there any restrictions/regulations of having a bonfire on your site? If so what are they? Have googled for some - Tues & Sundays after 3.30 in autumn/winter, to no bonfires allowed,and to no restrictions..
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: bonfire restrictions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 01:09:27 »
 ::)
On my sit we are allowed to have bonfire whenever we like....as long as it is on November 5th.

I was busy that day......DOH!!!

;D

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 11:11:13 »
On are site as long as the wind is blowing away from the road you can have one when ever you like.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 12:34:41 »
There are no written limitations on fires on our sites, although there are local residents (and businesses) that obviously take a dim view of badly managed or very smoky fires. All tenants are therefore expected to use consideration when lighting fires, and ensure they are extinguished before leaving the plot. We have had incidents where tenants have ignored this request, and the committee can refuse to accept a rent renewal, due to 'activities not conducive to the well being of the site'. No-one has been excluded under this clause due to fires ...

Derekthefox :D

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 14:34:19 »
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/bonfires.shtml

Notes from an Environmental Health Officer

"Smokeless zones do NOT deal in any way with smoke from bonfires. Smokeless zones are an area in which only smokeless fuel can be burnt (in domestic or commercial properties - for heating or commercial purposes). For example, using house coal in a smokeless zone is illegal, as would be burning unseasoned wood. Dry wood or smokeless coal (phurnacite) would be ok. There is nothing at all in this legislation which relates to bonfires. The Control of Pollution Act 1974 also does not have any bearing on bonfires, unless they are on a building site, where they can be prohibited by the council via section 60.

Certain wood waste, such as wood with dry rot and other infestations can be burnt quite legally on most sites. In fact it is stipulated that these must be incinerated.

There is no law saying that bonfires are illegal. However, Smoke from a bonfire (or any other process of burning) can be considered a Statutory nuisance and as such can be dealt with under the environmental protection act 1990. Your local Authority MUST deal with stat. nuisances, and this act states that the Local Authority SHALL serve notice to abate a statutory nuisance where they know or have reason to believe that a nuisance exists or is likely to exist. You will have to show that the nuisance is substantial though. In my experience, a bonfire more than once a month could be considered a stat nuisance is there was copious smoke which was causing you to shut windows. In fact, just the fact that you have to go indoors and cannot enjoy your garden is enough, but again, it would have to be quite regular for it to be considered a problem. Once every few months would probably not be considered a nuisance.

Barbecue smoke can also be considered a nuisance, again, only if it is very regular and the smoke is very bad, but I have dealt with a case where I served a notice on a house of students who had barbeques every night, and I also know of cases where people have had action taken against them for cooking over fires in their gardens.

To be a Public Nuisance, the smoke needs to affect a whole section of a community, in the sense that the public lose the enjoyment of a public park or some other public area. There is an interesting debate on public nuisance surrounding the Wandsworth Council vs rail track - Balham Bridge case. Part of our argument in the case is that the pigeons on the bridge cause a public nuisance as the local community cannot walk under the bridge without experiencing a nuisance.

Just one more thing, the Highways Acts state that it is an offence for smoke from a bonfire to drift onto a public highway. If this is the case, contact the police."

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 18:11:56 »
I hope you haven't put the kiss of death on this thread Carl  ;D, I don't think many people could follow that post ... so I did  ;D ;D ;D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 19:46:28 »
There are two set rules and two verbal agreements on bonfires at our site both of which are very practical and common sense really:

1.  In summer (May 1st  to end Sept) no bonfires before 7.30pm so as not to upset neighbouring house holders
2.  Do not leave a bonfire unattended

The verbal rules we hold to with each other are to only have bonfires when the wind is blowing away from the houses, and to ask other plot holders that may be around if they mind us lighting up just in case they get smoked out!

Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 19:52:12 »
We tend to observe those courtesy's as well Icy, so everyone is happy ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal