Author Topic: timber for beds  (Read 1481 times)

leigh

• Not So New ...
timber for beds
« on: October 21, 2005, 15:26:31 »
When making beds sectioned by timber. What size timber would you recommend I use? Would old floorboards or floor joists do the trick as I think I could lay my hands on some of these relatively cheaply.

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: timber for beds
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 16:02:47 »
When I made mine I used any old timber about 6" wide mostly from skips and the like, but the best I got was from Double Glazing Companies who dump old barge boards and soffits in their own skips.

leigh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 16:14:00 »
Sounds like a plan ;D

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 17:05:38 »
We used cheap gravel boards and they are well treated to so no rot :)

sussexcliff

• Not So New ...
  • It's not shirt sleeve weather at the moment!
    • And I work (when I'm not at the allotment) at
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 17:08:25 »
I managed to find some old scaffolding boards (8"x2" x 8') at our local recycling centre, some I had to pay a bit for, some were free. Its also the reason why I could afford to put up a pergola.

Boy Oh Boy I hope the extra effort is worth it. I'm about half way through doing it.

Cheers
Cliff
Just muddling along, trying various crops, styles etc, will repeat what works. Will try again what doesn't!!
Photo is of me ballet dancing or is it watering the strawberries?

AndyC

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 20:50:33 »
Having just done a bit of boarding of my beds, I think floorboards will do you for a while until they rot.  The key for me was the length of the timber.  I had read about using pallet boards, but de-nailing them is hell (they are machine nailed) and the lengths of timber you get don't get you far.  I spent an afternoon and only got about 10 feet done.
Couch grassin', ever diggin', bed mulchin', back breakin', poo spreadin', slow livin', veg growin'....Andy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal