Author Topic: Black plastic sheeting  (Read 2397 times)

AikenDrum

• Acre
Black plastic sheeting
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:15:38 »
OK, you probably all have enough to cover the Yorkshire Dales, but I just bought this on ebay. Quite cheap I thought.   {:¬)#

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7718295945

P.S. any of you lilving in the area could probably save the £10 postage by picking it up !

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 10:19:29 by AikenDrum »
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Black plastic sheeting
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 10:25:47 »
Looked at that and if you scroll down you'll see they've got the woven fabric too which is good as it lets rain through.  Good buy though and it has loads of uses.  You can put your manure on it as well to stop the goodness escaping.  Mind you it all goes in the soil  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 10:54:19 »
wardy, just after I bought it I scrolled down and spotted the fabric stuff so .... had to buy that as well of course   {:¬)#

P.S. got no manure or compost heap. Completely blank plot   {:¬ (
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 11:11:21 »
It's manure ordering time then.  I know that as have spotted trails of muck leading to allotments.  Must get my order in with Dirty Dick (our local supplier) £10 a tractor trailer full  :o

Compost bins are £5 delivered from Blackwall in Leeds (check out their website) Price does depend though whether your council is in on the scheme.  I have 11 compost bins, including one pallet job but that doesn't heat up as fast as the plastic daleks

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 13:44:38 »
Aiken,

sorry to rain on your parade, but we put down a strip of cardboard with black plastic sheeting over a couple of weeks ago, when we went back it has been torn, ripped up and chewed by what we can only assume from the foot prints etc.. was a fox. My lottie neighbour had her poly cloche tunnel ripped apart too.

We are thinking of getting some manure but haven't found any where that delivers and do not fancy it in my car... so if you come across any where let me know.

The council did a deal on compost bins - not sure if they are still doing it, but we got 2 massive dalek style ones for about £10 - £15 (I think) so worth a phone call.

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 15:12:22 »
Thanks daisymay !  on the phone now  ......

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 18:46:42 »
daisymay, got the details of the compost bins coming in the post  ... AND ! .. have sourced some manure, free !    {:¬)#

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 19:48:44 »
AD   You can go onto Blackwall's website and see what they look like  :)

Tip   The soil saver cannot be erected by one person and comes apart at the corners when you put stuff in it  >:(

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 19:54:25 »
wardy, zat the ones the council supplies ?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 19:57:41 »
Yep, 330 litre "daleks"  Very good they are too.  I have loads of them. It looks like they breed on my lotty  ;D

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 19:58:54 »
Oh goody !  more toys to play with ....   {:¬)#

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 11:10:39 »
daisymay, got the details of the compost bins coming in the post  ... AND ! .. have sourced some manure, free !    {:¬)#

where you getting the manure from? are they delivering or do you have to go and get it?

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 11:16:47 »
Prolly have to pick it up, but it's there waiting. One of my ex-sister in law's is supplying it, should be enough for both of us I think, will check and sort out transport.   {:¬)#

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 11:41:16 »
Brilliant - what a star. PM me when you have the details. Sure Ii can sort you out with some cabbage seedlings for your trouble, get you something in the ground for over winter  :)

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 11:43:22 »
And I'll sort you out some couch grass seedlings for your plot, got loadz to spare     :P

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal