Author Topic: Cheap netting tunnel..  (Read 4524 times)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Cheap netting tunnel..
« on: October 17, 2005, 10:57:29 »
I found the debris netting sold in most hardware catalogues like screwfix etc is a good  cheap netting for lotty use.It comes in rolls 100metres by 2 metres and costs around £40 its a propypolene netting .It is used I believe for going round scaffolding etc on building sites .I have used it this year for covering carrots cabbages etc .should be ok for You with pigeon probs etc too. I also made this tunnel for salad etc with it it is about 20 foot long by 8 foot wide.
I used old copper pipe into floor and plastic water pipe for arch ...I happened to have them 8x6 poly corrugated sheets spare so i used these on bottom but you dont need em .
I think it would be feasable to put polythene between netting and arches which would  then make a type of poly tunnel. I still had  loads of netting left on the roll after building this...cheers Jim...

« Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 11:02:18 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Cheap netting tunnel..
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 11:13:19 »
Thanks Jim  I need some netting to go round part of my allotment as it's as windy as hell  :o  Plus it looks good for keeping the birds off me onions  :)

PS  What are those white things you've used to join your pipes?
I came, I saw, I composted

growmore

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 11:33:11 »
Its insulating tape Wardy but perhaps a better altenative would be tie wraps.
cheers Jim.
Cheers .. Jim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 11:36:39 »
wow, forty quid for all that netting!  mmmmm....the old man is always ordering 'stuff' from screwfix, think I might secretly add this to his order!  A great tunnel Jim, would be blooming marvelous over my cabbages!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 12:01:39 »
Ooh great, my husband is elec eng so always has tie wraps.  He hides them from me though as I use them for all sorts  :)

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 21:51:14 »
Are wrap-ties the same thing as zip/cable-ties?

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 19:20:19 »
mine was even cheaper... the district council are finally spending ££re rendering the buildings where i live so i brassed knecked it and  asked the local workmen if they could keep me any that was worn out.. full of holes etc..and they gave me a big load of it.  i think they has a good laugh at the thought of me having an allotment. i'm five foot and a half inch(DONT FORGET THAT HALF INCH) and weigh under 7 stone. i also got some half length scaffolding planks(i couldnt carry the big ones ha ha)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 19:44:09 »
Yeah Amphib    tie wraps are for bundling cables etc. 

Good on you Weedbusta.  Good news about scaffolding planks as very often folks aren't keen on off-loading them - not round here anyway. 

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 10:56:17 »
Jim  just checked on Screwfix for the netting.  It's £49.99 for 2m x 50 m roll

Wardy

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 14:49:24 »
more netting suppliers

http://www.netmanufacturers.co.uk/pro-tec/new/tenax_netting.asp?sfID=8&dID=533

this is interesting cos they mention the hallowed words FRUIT CAGE and WIND BREAK though as Wardy says they're not that cheap...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

growmore

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 18:26:17 »
Your right Wardy it just seemed like 100 metres wid all the stuff i did with it .Sorry for the duff info ..Cheers.Jim
Cheers .. Jim

Emma K

• Not So New ...
    • Losing The Plot
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 19:11:28 »
I have used that very bright orange plastic netting stuff - also used round scaffolding to go round my sprouting broccoli - it has kept the birds off completely (They like brassicas alot round here) According to someone who knows more than me, the birds cannot land or take off when you have this type of 'fence' round the beds.

Emma K
I like wine food and gardening...

My allotment blog www.losingtheplot.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal