Author Topic: damage to allotment  (Read 3523 times)

gardening giraffe

• Quarter Acre
  • Don't you just love eating veggies!
damage to allotment
« on: October 13, 2005, 10:28:24 »
Hi Everyone

I stumbled on this site today and it looks great. Im quite new to gardening these last two years but am learning. Early this year I took on an allotment which was lovely with existing fruit bushes etc. I planted some potatoes, tomatoes, spring onions, celery etc but unfortunately the site is in a 'rough' area and every night kids get in and destroy everything so Ive not gone back there for ages. They ripped out every one of my  tomato plants just as they were ripening nicely and stamped over them,and pulled down my fence Id put around the edge, not to mention the empty bacardi breezer bottles they left there,  I was totally gutted. What do you think I should do about my plot?? There are no others available in the area but I was so enjoying it until it was ruined. Any advice would be appreciated. (the site is next to a swimming baths which is where they climb over into the site and mess about. The police are not able to do anything about the kids apparantly as they are underage)  :'(
Lisa xx

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: damage to allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 11:25:56 »
How sad Giraffe, lots of people on this site have similar problems over the years, it is so soul destroying.
I think what I would do is ask around your site to see if this happens on a regular basis or if it just a one off, and also go to the council or whoever is running your site and ask what they intend to do about improving security on it. I would also look around and see if there are any other allotments in you area, in case you wan't to move on.
  Good luck, would be a shame to give it up as it gives so much enjoyment.  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 12:18:29 »
Hello GG

We have an allotment committee with an official Representative that we are able to get at easily.  They would surely know what goes on in your area.

I agree with DP ask around and if there are enough folk with unhappy tales to tell, then make it a social policing matter. 

Start taking photos of any kids you see about and show them around, and to the police if things get worse, the threat of trouble sometimes does enough.

It makes me very sad to hear of all the antics so many kids get up to these days, what ever happened to good parenting?

Good luck, keep us posted
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 12:26:55 »
Hi GG, I am so sorry to hear about the damage to your allotment. After all your hard work it is soul destroying, I know.  We too have been having a spate of thefts and damage to our site recently and it is so frustrating and quite hearbreaking at times.  

Do you have an allotment committee that you could meet up with to discuss such frequent vandalism or the local authority allotment officer, if it is council managed?  Also what about getting in touch with your local community police officer to arrange a meeting.   Ours is very good and often patrols around our Site.  I know you say the Police can't stop underage youngster, but in North Tyneside they have started bussing these youngsters home if they have been drinking, and around our  allotment area has been designated as a no-drinking area so it is an offence. Always report any vandalism  to them no matter how small.  If everybody did that on your Site then the police would be able to know how big a problem it is.  What about your local councillor too.  It would be a shame if you had to give up your plot without a fight.  Good luck and let us know how things go.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 15:17:39 »

Start taking photos of any kids you see about and show them around, and to the police if things get worse, the threat of trouble sometimes does enough.

Sorry but I would be careful these days of taking photos. They might think you are a child molester. I would inform the police if you want to take photos first and explain the reasons why you need to do so. I would take pictures of the dammage to back your story.

It is so sad that these things happen and no one deserves this.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 17:22:10 »
Just this afternoon our community policeman Frank called in to see me.  He had heard about two of my pumpkins being stolen from my plot.  It is good to involve the police as they could come up with some support.  Mine wasn't exactly the crime of the century,yet they were still interested in what they could do to help.  So get out there and make yourself known and who knows what help there may be for you.  All the best, busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 17:31:52 »
The police are not able to do anything about the kids apparantly as they are underage)  :'(
So they are less than ten are they?  Sounds like lazy police to me and if it persists you should refer the matter to a higher authority - the Police Complaints Authority for example.  If they are under ten, then they shouldn't be out causing damage at night anyway and the matter should be referred (by the police) to Social Services.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 19:55:23 »
agreed!
under ten??they dont have to' bang them up!'
but what happened to having a word-with them  and their parents?
i suggest a letter to the local paper-the local tv station and your m.p.-AND the chief constable of your county-its amazing how fast things get put right with a bit of publicity!
o,and dont forget to put who exactly is getting copies of your letter/emails!
good luck!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 20:34:14 »
A couple of weeks ago, I tried to have a polite and quiet word with a parent about her 7 year old son's unacceptable behaviour towards my four year old daughter (amounted to bullying).  A couple of hours later her husband came round and gave me a slap.  Still wondering where the son gets it from.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 20:47:12 »
right!
tell me who it is clanger and i'll show him how to really bully  a person!
sheesh!
words fail me!
 ::)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 20:55:14 »
I think it is disgusting that people think they can act like this! Why can't people bring their children up to have manners and respect for other people? I hope that my daughter never acts in this way, and if she did I would be mortified and would apologise to the other family - not slap them! I would report this adult to the police for hitting you like that - it is not acceptable!

Lets just make sure we are all good people and set a good example to any youngsters we meet!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 22:57:59 »
I hope you've reported the slap to the police!

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 16:44:27 »
I did - was not going to let him think he had intimidated me in anyway - it only made matters worse for him when he walked up and down our street a few times with his pit bull.  Twice my size so I would never beat him in a fight (non-violent anyway) but nor am I easily intimidated (have the scars to prove it  :))  Things went quiet before police office got to speak to him though so I asked her to keep a lid on it unless in recurred.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 23:21:36 »
If I remember right, you're another teacher, and nobody could survive in our job if they were likely to be intimidated!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 00:03:08 »
Gardening Giraffe please don't let these little idiots defeat you.  You have to keep on keeping on. I know how demoralizing it is but at the very least you have us here to support you.

Redclanger I know where you are at...I don't know if you remember my ding dong with the woman who wanting to bite my fingers off because I shouted at her mates for trying to set their dogs on to my cat?  I see her every day when I take my son to school. Honestly...she brings the worst feelings out in me. Why the hell should we put up with their crap. Social responsibility means nowt to them and at the moment I'm beginning to think they have the upper hand. Simply because we do have responsibility.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 00:19:06 »
The thing is Heldi, as I now you know,  that basic human dignity towards each other, despite whether we agree with each other, is imperative and that it will win in the end because it is basic humanty and I refuse to believe that anything else will ultimately previal and yes Robert (as a fellow Teacher) we cannot be intimidated or we have lost straight away, and when it has heppened (mildly luckily) in school that is how I see it through.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 08:17:46 »
scondary school kids frighten the bejabers out of me.
i wouldnt teach for a big gold clock-i think you deserve a pay rise!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

amphibian

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 08:25:09 »
Our allotment used to get a lot of vandalism Now that most of the vacant plots have been filled, mostly by young people, the vandalism has stopped. These spinless oaths are obviously scared of anyone bigger and stronger than the little old ladies that they used to target.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal