Author Topic: To lottie or not?  (Read 13289 times)

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
  • Happy Tummies:)
Re: To lottie or not?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2005, 11:08:01 »
Congrats Rob ;D
Wow - shed, fruit cage, onions.... sounds brill!
Jealous? Moi?  You betcha! ;) (Still no word from my council... I've emailed, phoned.. maybe one day I'll get my key ???)
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
'Kubla Khan' Samuel Taylor Coleridge

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2005, 11:11:13 »
Congrats Rob ;D
Wow - shed, fruit cage, onions.... sounds brill!
Jealous? Moi?  You betcha! ;) (Still no word from my council... I've emailed, phoned.. maybe one day I'll get my key ???)

Turn up at their office - seemed to work for me!

Cheers,
Rob ;)

ps. you wouldn't be jealous if you saw the grass - the word 'savannah' springs to mind... :(
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2005, 11:29:05 »
Carry my wife over the threshold?  :o :o Isn't my back going to suffer enough wth all the digging?

As for the fish n chips, can't help thinking that if I sit still for too long a certain plot-holder will come over and tell me I'm eating them the wrong way and should really be eating them the same way he does... ::)

Cheers,
Rob ;)

"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2005, 13:15:52 »
Oh no, not one of those! They ARE the worst kind.  Don't be governed by lotty neighbours though.  Eat chips, drink beer, have party  - on bonfire night (compulsory)  :)

He's mostly harmless, but doesn't half remind me of that Harry Enfield character from years ago! "Only meeee, you don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this...!" Still, as OH says, if it's good advice we'll use it and if it's not we'll ignore it!

Cheers,
Rob ;)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2005, 15:41:48 »
What's it supposed to do? And did it work?  ???

Not going anywhere near mine with a rotovator, I don't want lots of chopped-up couch grass roots flying everywhere...

And why shouldn't you grow onions from sets? ???

Cheers,
Rob ;)

hemajo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2005, 21:05:16 »
Joji, you must have worked really hard!
Your plot looks pretty steep! Our garden has a similar gradient I reckon!  Keeps you fit :)
Helen

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2005, 11:18:24 »
I just got an email back from the council's allotment and footpath officer saying she's received my application and will deal with it and the others she's got (how many of us are there i wonder) once she's met an urgent deadline about something or other.  Excuses excuses >:(
Not very impressed, especially knowing that there's at least one bed that's been cleared for me and is just waiting for the onion sets and garlic i've got sitting in my shed.... ho hum ::)
Maybe I'll just get myself up there and plough on regardless - the lotty rep regards it as my plot and hasn't had any other enquiries about the site for months.  Now, where did I put my wellies ??? ;D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2005, 14:47:34 »
Yeah, go an start working on the plot and then if (God forbid) anything does go wrong you can claim squatter's rights! Now why does that sound familiar?

Cheers,
Rob ;)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2005, 14:53:00 »
That sounds like a good idea Wardy - would stop plots getting hopelessly overgrown while the council is waiting to evict the current tenants. According to my tenancy agreement, the council have to give me 12 months notice to quit, even if I sit on my bum and do nothing but watch the weeds grow! Daft innit?

Cheers,
Rob ;)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2005, 15:13:09 »
It certainly is stupid. There's a plot on my site that's completely overgrown with brambles and even has a tree growing out of the middle of it, it's not being cultivated and the guy hasn't been seen for ages, but because he keeps paying his rent every year it's easier for the council to pretend they haven't seen it! >:(

Cheers,
Rob ;)

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2005, 16:54:48 »
Thanks Rob & Wardy - will go & investigate tomorrow afternoon - hopefully there'll be someone else there who has a key :)

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2005, 10:46:56 »
So Kentishchloe, how did it go? Have you got a lottie yet?

I'm aching in places I didn't even know I had! Have managed to clear one bed about 4 X 25 ft and now have sown onions, broad beans and some winter lettuce that came free with a magazine. Still slowly clearing the next bed, and covering the rest with black plastic. My eldest daughter made me a scarecrow, which I thought was lovely ;D And to cap it all, the weather last weekend was absolutely gorgeous ;D This lottying thing could become seriously addictive...

Cheers,
Rob ;)

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2005, 14:43:44 »
Well - I've had a letter from council who asked me to sign regs & send back then they'd send me key & tenancy agreement etc....

I got bored waiting for post so yesterday in glorious sunshine i packed up car with tools, plants & sets - and son - and went to lotty. What a fantastic afternoon, i raked over the first of my three freshly rotavated beds and planted onions,  garlic & p/s brocolli. Hurray!! will (hopefully) have something to eat next year!

Was really chuffed to find excellent soil, sandy & rich with evidence of organic matter having been added in past. No nasty weeds to be seen ;D and what a warm welcome from the lotty rep who's clearing & rotavting beds for me.

Happy dance  ;D ;D ;D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2005, 14:52:49 »
Excellent news Chloe, you sound well organised.

How peculiar! All Wardy's posts from this thread have disappeared ??? Do they have a Mission Impossible stylee self-destruct thing built in? Either way, this thread now reads like one half of a phone conversation where you can't hear the other half ???

Cheers,
Rob ;)

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2005, 16:12:16 »
Oh yeah - how weird ??? I noticed the same thing on another thread earlier, people were replying to her but she wasn't there - the A4A triangle?

Wardy - where are you - come back  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2005, 16:15:58 »
I'm still here, coo ee  ;D  

Your lotty sounds like one I had a dream about.  No weeds, kindly man doing all your rotovating, no nasty weeds to be seen  :o   You'll wake up soon  ;D

Wait til Heidi reads this.  I thought my plot was dire til I saw hers  :o

Great news anyway and you'll have plenty of food next year for sure, even more than most, if you have no weeds and a clear lotty to go at.  make sure you cover unused beds up though or weeds will come back.  you can use black plastic or green manure.  You can be setting up your daleks too  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2005, 16:19:21 »
rob,

admit that you destroyed those messages!
you were also afraid that i would chide you again for flirting with wardy ;D
(or maybe wardy did it....hmmmm)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

kentishchloe

• Half Acre
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2005, 13:46:25 »
Black placcy at the ready Wardy :D 

Am feeling very smug that i judged the weather so well & got my planting done in glorious sunshine - has been raining non-stop since! Oh and i got my key etc yesterday hurray ;D

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2005, 15:25:57 »
rob,

admit that you destroyed those messages!
you were also afraid that i would chide you again for flirting with wardy ;D
(or maybe wardy did it....hmmmm)

Or maybe my OH did it to hide the evidence - just before she tested positive in Heldi's psychopath test :o :o :o

Oh and i got my key etc yesterday hurray ;D

Hurrah! Now you're a bona fide allotmenteer! :D

Cheers,
Rob ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal