Author Topic: Garden School on BBC 2  (Read 3593 times)

joji

• Hectare
Garden School on BBC 2
« on: October 21, 2005, 12:32:57 »
After what happened to the big dig  ::) I don't know if this will still be on but at 8 pm tonight is a new programe called Garden School. Just thought I would remind you all. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 13:48:28 by joji »

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Re: Garden School on BBC 2
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 12:47:12 »
They better not! will be there with glass of vino in hand to watch it.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 13:10:42 »
Thanks joji for passing on that info....they wouldn't dare surely....like d.m. I'll too be waiting expectantly with glass in hand  ;)

I'm still fuming  >:( about 'The Big Dig'

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 14:22:29 »
me too but won't be glass, will be bottle.  :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 14:22:46 »
Standing by my cement mixer, slabs, gravel and glass as we speak.  Garden School my bottom - more like exterior design.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 14:28:57 »
Have just had a chance to look at t.v. mag re new prog. tonight....hadn't realised it was a 'garden design' thingy!!!....

not really knocking it,   :-\will reserve judgement but .....it doesn't appeal to my 'basic down to earth' hands in the soil sort of gardening skills!

altho I do quite like Diarmud Gavin  ;)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 14:33:46 »
Personally I am not really interested in this program. It must be the fact I cannot stand Dermot Gavin and his contempary wako designs. That is only my personal opinion. My interest of gardeners world has also gone off. I used to enjoy gardeners world with the late and great Geoff Hamilton. He used to be a real Gardener. Or lets say more of a peoples gardener.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 20:27:44 »
Well I turned off after the first 10 mins. What a waste. Durmud is at it again fame and money and let the R.H.S teach them for me and I will just turn up when I feel like it.

So basically Durmud is teaching absolutely  nothing. Just as he did when he did his Chelsea flower show programme always letting the side down. ::)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 22:10:10 »
Free labour if you ask me!  So much to ask, give up your life for 5 months, and for what, to jump when Dermuid says, and to receive no actual qualification!  I know that the experiences they are going to gain at Wisley, money can't buy, but I cannot see what they are actually going to learn from Dermuid.

AAAGGGHHHHH, feel like I am about to be shouted at!  I watched the whole program, and was glad to see a couple of allotmenteers there, I dunno....is he going to give them a job at the end of it??

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 23:33:19 »
Still cross about the big dig, as at least you could learn from it as they showed people actually doing something. This programme said they were told about the RHS method of weeding but then didn't explain what it was.

OldWolf

• Not So New ...
    • Welcome to the Evetts Allotment
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 07:34:36 »
Personally i feel reshowing  The Wartime Kitchen and garden or the allotment show that is on BBC2 at 4pm would have been a better use of air time, heck Alan Titmarch or Charlie Dimmock would have done better !

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 12:41:26 »
I feel like a one legged man in an ar$e-kicking contest, do most of us really give a $hit about a programme, that at the end of it is basically about how to steal a march on your neighbours and get to the RHA show ? Another sad example of "Keeping up with the Jones"  *weeps quietly*    {:¬ (
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 16:56:20 »
A small defence of the little fella (v. small, actually, cos I'd forgotten to switch on my answering m/c before it started so only actually saw/heard up to the time he entered the 2nd garden & talked about what the team should take as its benchmarks when coming up with a design..) before my viewing was interrupted.

He's a garden designer and a point he made, oh! so long ago, in a DT article, was that people live in 'today' - whenever that was....some are avant-garde & want the way-out option, some want to be slightly daring and 'unconventional' perhaps, while others want bog-standard 'formal' gardens...rectangular lawns edged with predictable planting in military precision, with all variations in between. He made the point that gardens are ALL artificial, historically, and that clients' ideas and the expression of them, reflect greatly the current times.

My feeling is that, when he briefed the team (before my phone rang!), he stressed the importance of some fundamentals........of a) listening to clients (who, after all, are going to pay for this) as to what they want and how a reflection of their personalities/lifestyles can be achieved by expression through their gardens; to be aware of the surroundings and decide which 'free' vistas you can bring in & which you want to draw the eye away from; and a thorough understanding of the ground you're working with.

Now, I think that those are sound principles....

EJ, you mentioned 'qualifications'.........dunno, I'm of a different generation :o  ... by God I've have given the self-nominated 'token Granny' a run for her money (or do I mean Zimmer-Dash??)...............but for me, to study for 5 months or whatever, under a modern 'Master', were I interested in garden design,  would be qualification enough..............and who would need a Sustificate to prove it?

Nah....gonna turn off my telephone next week and give it another go.

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 01:54:38 »
Hi S-S,
           I agree entirely with your down to earth comments. ;D

PREMTAL

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal