Produce > Edible Plants

planting garlic now- too wet?

(1/1)

rdak:
Want to put my garlic in now...the soil is saturated by all this rain. Will the bulbs rot if I put them in now?
thanks

tim:
- probably not , but it wouldn't hurt to check the long range forecast and delay a week or so if you saw fit? - Tim

Mrs Ava:
I grew my garlic and shallots in the garden last year, and they sat in water all winter long!  Disaster!!  However, lost 50% of the shallots, but the garlic didn't seem any the worse for their swim, but I agree with Tim, I would probably wait a couple of days, there is no immediate rush to get them in the ground.  Check out the forecast - we have a wonderful sunny day today in Essex, if it lasts a few days, then the ground would be ideal.  ;D

campanula:
Emma Jane, nothing to do with garlic,just a big thank you. I saw one of your posts on gardenwebmentioning this site so joined up. fantastically useful especially since getting an allotment this summer from Cambridge City Council - yippee.
Thanks again for the info.

Mrs Ava:
The pleasure is all mine campanula.  This is a fab site with clever, and some rather witty members.  And congratulations on getting a lottie!  Life will never be the same again I fear, what to grow......what pests and diseases....what to do with that bumper crop of radishes!  The joy - I LOVE it!!   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version