Author Topic: BBC2 programme on allotments  (Read 37121 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: BBC2 programme on allotments
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2005, 15:43:48 »
Not hysterical Redclanger.  Just cross.  The Beeb is a good broadcaster, on the whole, but its day time stuff is seriously cr*ppy of late.  There are endless repeats of junk/car boot and antique shows as well as property and decorating shows so when they do, finally, get around do doing a series on allotments, it is galling when they ditch it after 3 days.   As a paying customer, I wish to exercise my right to complain in the hope of getting it rescheduled and maybe even done better another year.
Obxx - Vendée France

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2005, 16:37:44 »
Even though the BBC website said yesterday that it would be on. Alas we here in Wales had Flog it  again  >:(

We will be taking a trip to terrys allotment tomorrow and then I will get back to you with his answer. :)

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2005, 19:44:08 »
Well as a fan of S&M, I think 'Flog It' should be on even more often!!

Just kidding daytime allotment show fans!

I'll get my coat...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2005, 23:28:53 »
Just been away for three days and settled down to watch the Big Dig and was really disappointed to see only Flog It! taped instead. I rang the BBC and the person who answered said that it was pulled because of a lack of interest but would be possibly broadcast at a later date at a more appropriate time. Really cross as I had just settled down to watch a nice big chunk of allotments! I hope we all make a big enough fuss to make them change their minds.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2005, 10:52:19 »
Well as a fan of S&M, I think 'Flog It' should be on even more often!!

Just kidding daytime allotment show fans!

I'll get my coat...

Would you like a wooden spoon to help you there TM? ;D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2005, 12:31:30 »
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2005, 20:22:43 »
Well guys we went to see Terry at his lottie. Real nice guy. He didn't know why it was pulled. He said that he would phone up the producer and see what is going on. We are to go back on Monday afternoon for the truth.  I have told him about this site and given him the addy to come on. He said he may well join A4A. He says it sounds like there are a lot of nice people on here and he may be prepared to share some of his wisdom.  ;D

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2005, 21:09:03 »
WooooHooo !  somebody took the blindfold of the statue of Justice !  (I know she doesn't wear one, it's an artistic licence device  :P )     {:¬)#

Thanks joji  *hugz*
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is the fact that it has never tried to contact us.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2005, 22:00:59 »
Way hey to joji !   ;D 

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2005, 08:45:54 »
I bet if they change the time to early evening i'll either be cooking, eating it, do homework or putting children to bed.  ???

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2005, 20:46:28 »
wow 9 pages and all I did was a parsnip search!!!
So was the program good?
Anyone tape/dvd it that would send it to me?(or email)?

didn`t read all 9 pages cos it`s a lot.

Andy

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2005, 21:28:21 »
Hi Andy,

The programme has been scrapped for the time being, no explanation 'til now :-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2.cgi?state=threads&board=gardening.tv&

AikenDrum

• Acre
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2005, 22:56:12 »
How can they possibly make a comment like that after just 3 hours of broadcasting ? It beggars belief ! There is more to this than meets the eye methinks  .....  {:¬ (

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2005, 23:10:56 »
Well done Wardy.

Anyone got a direct link and email who we can all write to and complain?

A draft email would be good and we could all alter it a little bit.............

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2005, 16:04:51 »
I've also just had a reply from the BBC to my e-mail re 'removal of programme' here's what they said:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'The Big Dig'.

I understand you are disappointed that the programme was dropped from the schedule recently.

We have decided to take 'The Big Dig' out of the schedule on BBC TWO daytime for now.  The programme did not do as well as we had hoped in the slot which is possibly due to the time of year and the weather.  We will look to reschedule the programme at a later date in a more appropriate slot.

I appreciate that this may be of some disappointment to you and understand how such schedule changes can affect the enjoyment of BBC for our viewers. Therefore, please be assured that your comments, including those about the age span, have been registered and added to a daily log that is made available to 'The Big Dig' production team, the Scheduling Department, and Senior BBC Management. Your feedback is more than welcome and will help shape future programming decisions.

I hope this information proves useful to you and once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us with the strength of your concerns."

Let's hope they re-assess it and re-schedule it maybe in early Spring at a more suitable time for a wider viewing public altho we're all capable of setting up the 'record' button aren't we??

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2005, 16:15:20 »
I think they may show it arount early March next year to start of the new growing season. That would be a perfect time to start it off again.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2005, 20:05:36 »
Rosyred...that'll be me aswell.

I think during the winter is the perfect time to show it. Would be nice to see an allotment show whilst all outside is quiet.  Tide us over until spring,when no doubt they would repeat it,and then repeat it again,and then some more after that.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2005, 23:57:51 »
I too got the same e-mail from the Beeb, as an explanation for taking the Big Dig off.  How they can judge after three episodes how popular it was going to be, is a mystery to me?  I heard that "only fools and horses" got terrible ratings when it was first shown but they gave it a chance.  I agree too that winter would be a great time to show it, so we would have something to keep us going over the dark winter months.   ??? busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2005, 09:52:01 »
I too got a similar email. At least our objections have ben noted.

I would like to know how they get their 'viewing figures'. I bet that the process doesn't take into account those who record a programme to watch at a later date/time.

Did anyone listen to see whether Jeremy Vone or Simon Mayo mentioned it on their shows?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2005, 10:30:54 »
There is an official body - whose name I can't remember - which has panels of listeners and viewers who record every channel they listen to or watch and the figures are updated and correlated as audience figures.  They are then used by programme controllers and advertisers to plan programmes and place ads at the optimum time for their product and they, of course, get to pay premium rates for peak viewing times.

This body is independent of all the broadcasting networks but I'm sure they all have their own panels to get more instant feedback.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal